Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exoskeletons

Exoskeletons

Seriously, in my opinion exoskeletons are a massive waste of money, it should be directed towards regenerative therapies, not just for SCI but for all neurological disorders causing paralysis. Right now all the exoskeletons are only for paras, massive and bulky and it's going to take years for an actual effective piece of hardware that can move on rugged terrain or stairs freeway. It's a joke what's the point when you can't feel your limbs (potentially dangerous), or control your bowel and bladder functions, not to mention sexual function being the most sought after function for most people suffering from SCI (followed by hand function for quads) and rightfully so.

In terms of getting us around easier for the time being, make assembling and acquiring wheelchairs like the Galileo and similar models easier and more affordable.

not trying to be a troll here, but.....

what if amputees thought that way? Like screw your prosthetics, I want my limbs to grow back.

For me I'd be happy being Locutus of Borg. No nerve pain, no severe muscle weakness/soreness, no recovery time. Just bolt on and go skateboarding/dirtbiking/snowboarding/wakeboarding/man-whoring/robocopping.

Not wanting prosthetics is like not wanting a wheel-chair. We are all glad to have it it.

Then is the main problem of an amputee missing that limb, for a sci the situations is far more complex.
    Sure will you be robocopping... about the other stuff I beg to differ.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

I think we have a better chance with the exoskeleton happening in my lifetime than anything else. Plus I would rather wear that big bulky machine than stand in a standing frame for an hour. I hate doing that. Plus I would be able to do so many more things around the house standing.

Plus the therapy involved in naturally moving your body not sitting in a chair has to have benefits right?

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I think we have a better chance with the exoskeleton happening in my lifetime than anything else. Plus I would rather wear that big bulky machine than stand in a standing frame for an hour. I hate doing that. Plus I would be able to do so many more things around the house standing.

Plus the therapy involved in naturally moving your body not sitting in a chair has to have benefits right?
    I have to agree...at least I can move around and see different things than the same 4 walls of the room the standing frame is in...besides...I am more than happy to be able to stand up and move using a metal contraption, instead of always sitting in a metal contraption.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I agree and think there's at least some promise in exoskeletons. Especially since military dollars are being spent on research. There's the chance that they could become much thinner and lighter and more advanced. Sure, I want my actual bodily functions back, but until that happens...

Paraplegic In "Ironman Suit" Will Take The First Kick In The 2014 World Cup
    Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/technology...Il46iRDj5ob.99

From the article:

"We have received $14 million from the Brazilian government over the last two years"

I would prefer the $14,000,000 be spent on finding a cure for spinal cord injuries!!!

Also from the article:

"the research has been met with criticism as some believe that the suit is far from practical and that he is receiving too much of the Brazilian government's research budget, but Nicoleilis defends his work."

Good to hear he knows some peolple don't want this stuff!

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I have a friend of a friend who works at ekso bionics. I got to try one of the suits and I have to admit it is pretty cool. In my opinion useful, everyday bionics is a lot more likely in the next 10 years than any sort of cure. If I had the choice between a cure in 10 years or a extra cool terminator suit in 5 I would say screw the suit. However we aren't being faced with that choice. There are billions of dollars in venture capital, 14 million is nothing and people see how to make money as well as help people with Exo technology. We should be supportive of it, the fact is that Exo probably will help us more in the next decade than any "cure", plus the money for stem cell research and exo development doesn't come from one pool, 14M in exo doesn't mean that 10M is taken away from cure research.

I think we should whole heartily support Exo stuff. There is no such thing as bad publicity, and the Exo technology gets people thinking about SCI. An example at a micro level is at my company, people tend to avoid mentioning my being in a chair. However the Esko bionics thing facinated the people I work with, and during the course of the conversation I got across that whilst terminator suits are cool to me they are just a glorified wheelchair and nothing I view as really exciting. Its 20 or so people who now have a deeper understanding of SCI. The same thing can happen on a macro level.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have a friend of a friend who works at ekso bionics. I got to try one of the suits and I have to admit it is pretty cool. In my opinion useful, everyday bionics is a lot more likely in the next 10 years than any sort of cure. If I had the choice between a cure in 10 years or a extra cool terminator suit in 5 I would say screw the suit. However we aren't being faced with that choice. There are billions of dollars in venture capital, 14 million is nothing and people see how to make money as well as help people with Exo technology. We should be supportive of it, the fact is that Exo probably will help us more in the next decade than any "cure", plus the money for stem cell research and exo development doesn't come from one pool, 14M in exo doesn't mean that 10M is taken away from cure research.

I think we should whole heartily support Exo stuff. There is no such thing as bad publicity, and the Exo technology gets people thinking about SCI. An example at a micro level is at my company, people tend to avoid mentioning my being in a chair. However the Esko bionics thing facinated the people I work with, and during the course of the conversation I got across that whilst terminator suits are cool to me they are just a glorified wheelchair and nothing I view as really exciting. Its 20 or so people who now have a deeper understanding of SCI. The same thing can happen on a macro level.
    Don't you wonder what would happen on the cure front if let's say one resercher willing to work to cure chronic SCI got 14 millions in two years?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    The same thing can happen on a macro level.
    My fear is that the macro understanding will be something along the lines of robot suit equals problem solved.