Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amy Van Dyken: former Olympian suffered spinal injury.

i have also heard ,broke their back.i had a couple people that i worked with tell me thy broke their back, but they had no problems with movement or climbing telephone poles
    cauda equina

My Dad broke his back around 1968. It means he broke one or more vertabrae not that it effected his spinal cord. Three months in a brace and he was fine. Fast forward to this year and an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair and he is looking at a SCI due to an ischemic cord stroke.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

She is at Craig hospital for long term rehab, is this a rich person's thing? Seems high end. She released her x-ray, that T11 was WAY out of place, it might have actually severed the cord. Not sure though.

No, but you have to be lucky enough that Craig has an opening when you need it. Craig also took many service members during the last decade when they needed a specific type of therapy if the VA couldn't immediately handle it or Craig was closer to home.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hopefully Amy has insurance that covers some rehab.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries
    Anybody have any updates?

According to her spinal surgeon, she completely subluxed her spine between T11 and T12 (seems there is a complete eclipse of the canal). Looks like the result of a tremendous amount of force.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Anybody have any updates?
    http://instagram.com/amyvandyken

So her goal is to walk out of the hospital eh? And she thinks that just a few bones above T11 would have taken away her hands?

I wonder if this is just her super sunshiney attitude or if it's just the beginning stages of SCI, you know, when you aren't very well informed and don't understand it yet.......