Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Amy Van Dyken: former Olympian suffered spinal injury.

It's great to see her progress, but dear gawd the misinformation.

yes acceptance is a process and sometimes I am OK with being paralyzed because it has made me who I am but at other times life as an SCI sucks. The celebrity Olympic swimmer is probably getting used to her SCI and the problems that go with it but don't forget she was the worlds best at something, swimming so I am going to assume she has some positive skills for dealing with the cards she was delt. Either way she has turned the focus back on us SCI for a second. Maybe with her star power she will continue to.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am not sure anyone with a new SCI, celebrity or not, "accepts" their SCI, especially this early. I think "acceptance" is a concept developed by health care providers that makes them feel superior to and parental over the patient. I hear ICU staff very glib in their judgement that the patient hasn't yet "accepted" their injury (is maintaining hope) and I always want to say to them "I bet YOU wouldn't be "accepting it" either if you were in their place"!

Even full understanding of the significance of the injury, and its permanence (at least for now) is something that comes only after you have gone home from rehab and starting learning to live life within the limitations of your individual impairment. Emotionally dealing with this, learning to cope, and adjust your life is what needs to occur, and this takes a good amount of time...for many at least 2-5 years.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=backwoodsrider;1767858]yes acceptance is a process and sometimes I am OK with being paralyzed because it has made me who I am......"
    Nothing personal BackW. I'm not picking on you, it's hypocritical::
    How does anyone say they're ok with sci?
    Sorry, I hope that only means you're accepted your SCI cause you've got no fucking choice. Btw, of course it made you you. Who else could it make you?

[QUOTE=Tim C.;1768202]
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsrider View Post
    yes acceptance is a process and sometimes I am OK with being paralyzed because it has made me who I am......"
    Nothing personal BackW. I'm not picking on you, it's hypocritical::
    How does anyone say they're ok with sci?
    Sorry, I hope that only means you're accepted your SCI cause you've got no fucking choice. Btw, of course it made you you. Who else could it make you?
    Sometimes I am grounded and happy and see how being paralyzed has given me some gifts about being a more tolerant and non judgemental man and I like what has happened to me because I am SCI.

However other times I am not OK with being paralyzed and angry at my situation and just wish I could have a life like I see all the ABs have got.

I try and plan things out during the day so that I might see life from the good balanced viewpoint but really every day its a crap shoot and I just show up.

i can still walk, with a afo, yet the complications of my injury have robbed me of so much in life. The bowel problems have made me a hermit , the pain have complicated matters worse, She has a good group of people behind her that is helping a lot..
    i have no one, so this makes it way more difficult trying to find groups or ways to socialize to meet people is very discouraging.
    tldr/ amy has a very good family and support group , plus access to the best medical, that makes a huge difference
    cauda equina