If I wrote this post last week I would have said, "Having a week from hell! Trying to withdrawal from lyrica and ready to give up! Pain has doubled and is constant. I'm up all night even after 2 oxycodones and a 2 benadryl. Getting more and more depressed... Is this worth it?! And the worst part is that I don't even know if this is because lyrica was helping or if my pain would have increased anyways." (Thanks to my husband who held me while I shook and cried a couple of nights.)

After a week, I was ready to give up and take it again. (I was on 50 mg 2 or 3X/day, and decreased to 0 in about 3 weeks) Then I remembered that I had tried going off Nortriptyline a few years ago (from 50 mgs/night) and it really increased my pain and depression so I eventually restarted taking half the dose (25mgs). So instead of giving in and taking the lyrica again I added back that additional 25 mg nortriptyline and VOILA! The pain returned to tolerable and I SLEPT ALL NIGHT. This has continued for 3 days now and I feel like I can function again at this level. Maybe if things continue on well, I may try to decrease it again very slowly.

BTW I have a t-12 injury and my pain is usually about a 4, but often goes up to 6 or 7 whenever it wants to and will be provoked by everything from hot feet to cold feet to constipation to full bladder, certain movements etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum..... During the withdrawal it was about a constant 8.

I guess I feel better about taking more nortriptyline than the lyrica because lyrica hasn't been out as long and new drugs often are discovered to have dangers they didn't anticipate. I am suspecting that nortriptyline is safer, but I would like to find more evidence about that question. I do know that I can't live at that high and constant pain level. The lack of sleep and stress on my body I believe, is worse than the toll that long term use of a medication takes, not to mention the suffering and depression that goes with it. I am so blessed with family, friends and things I need, but a certain level of pain makes me unable to enjoy them. I pray for all of us dealing with that level, to find the right combination of things to find relief!