Thread: Community garden for WC "farmers."

Community garden for WC "farmers."

A couple of years ago my brother's church started a community garden. It has been very successful. I finally shamed him into putting in a wheelchair accessible section. They finished it about a month ago in time for spring planting in SW New York state. So far two wheelchair users from the area have started plots. I pasted a photo below.

Name:  aHC Grdn 001.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  69.4 KB
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Are those benches? I guess it's a good start but I hope those 2 "farmers" aren't depending on that space for a lot of their food this year. Our area has quite a few the CSA gardens including several that are accessible and one specifically for community living people with developmental disabilities where about half of their take goes to food kitchens. They love to be able to contribute too. Radishes and leaf lettuces have already been seen at 3 of the farmers markets from that garden.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

There is an obvious bench. If you are referring to the side boxes, they are planting boxes that can be accessed by people who prefer to work from the side of their wheelchair. The design was developed from online sources relating to accessible gardens. Essentially this is a trial project. They hope to get some idea of interest and user needs before they invest a great deal of time and $. They are willing to custom make plots if warranted. The benches stem from the fact that a good many of the gardeners are older people teaching their grand children how to garden, or who are gardening out of necessity.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Gotcha'. I once gave Cheesecake the name of a great book on gardening from a chair that also had fixes for lawns too. I'll try to find it. If the need is there this book had some pretty cool ideas many of which would would apply to a community garden. Most do not require a great deal of cash either. This would be a great Eagle Scout project too. That's probably why the bench hit me right away. An Eagle Scout here made benches for the large dog park we frequent. He just wasn't aware of or hung around the place awhile long enough to see what male dogs do to the picnic table near the entrance. Among the regulars no one will sit at the table or use the benches unless they carry a doggy bag knap sack that includes an oil cloth. Great benches that have held up well just they weren't thought out well unless he meant the dogs to use them like they are. Maybe putting them outside the fence near the water in the canoe/kayak launch area or further down where many with fishing poles head.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.