Thread: Whats new with the smart drive? (by max mobility)

Whats new with the smart drive? (by max mobility)

Smart drive owners, especially older owners who have followed the upgrades.... Whats new with the smart drive? The bluetooth remote, thats out now right? How does it work? Pictures? (And I'm looking at their site now to try to catch myself up.)

I followed the smart drive talk before, but when the site was updated and I couldn't navigate I drifted away. Plus some life getting in the way, as its apt to do. But I'm finally getting a smart drive. The guy said it could be as quick as 45 days depending on gathering up paperwork. I'm really excited. I can't wait for the independence! I've also finally got a vehicle now and am proceeding with getting a lift through voc rehab so I can return to work and school.

When I was following the smart drive talk before, I really liked SCI_OTR's dual button system. Is that still possible to set up? How well does the remote work you guys? Is it mounted on the chair or worn or the wrist? I may have found answers to some of my questions by the time people reply but I'm really excited to learn as much as possible as soon as possible!

P.S. Does anyone know of some product on the market similar to the smart drive? The DME guy mentioned wanting to verify we were talking about the same thing, and brought up a photo of the smart drive. He said he'd had an instance where he met with a guy and it turned out he wanted a different product not the smart drive, but that it apparently really sucks? lol. And so the DME guy explained to him how awful the product was and he went with the smart drive. He said it was so awful he can't even remember the name. I was just curious what he was talking about.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Welcome back Lin and congratulations on your progress. The smart drive now comes with two buttons that attach to the chair, eliminating the battery button. Both buttons have a very bright green light indicating the unit is on, that is no light, unit is off. And they have programed two modes of operation now, a so called indoor mode (which I use outdoors) and an outdoor mode. The indoor mode is basically the original operating version as far as i can tell except maybe the bump and it switches off isn't as sensitive as it used to be, which is a good thing. The outdoor mode is a whole new thing. There is *no* bump and it's off. There is no grabbing the handrims to stop. It's designed for rough terrain that the indoor mode just won't keep running in. In order to shut down you use one of the switches. I'm one of the people who are not good with the current feel of the switches. Mine don't click, they are a soft touch so there is no physical feedback other than that wonderful light.

I do have peripheral neuropathy which is has mostly calmed down but that may be part of the problem with the soft touch switches for me, but I would think others would have similar issues without a clicker type button.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks nonoise! I saw the 2 button thing in a youtube video. So is it not possible to do your own buttons now? Do you know if SCI_OTR is still using the same setup with a button on either side? Or is he using something else now due to the differences? Is the button wired to the unit or bluetooth? I know bluetooth was being discussed before.

So do the changes stop the previous issue where people were unable to stop and ran into things? Now you use yoru handrims to stop in indoor mode, and the button in outdoor mode so you don't go slamming into things skidding across holding your wheels steady? The guy mentioned how now they require you to sign a release about not suing the company if you're injured using the unit, and I wondered if it was related to that problem people had before. I remember pushing the button to stop would have fixed the problem, but letting go of the wheels when you want to stop and are flying forward is of course not intuitive!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Thanks nonoise! I saw the 2 button thing in a youtube video. So is it not possible to do your own buttons now? Do you know if SCI_OTR is still using the same setup with a button on either side? Or is he using something else now due to the differences? Is the button wired to the unit or bluetooth? I know bluetooth was being discussed before.

So do the changes stop the previous issue where people were unable to stop and ran into things? Now you use yoru handrims to stop in indoor mode, and the button in outdoor mode so you don't go slamming into things skidding across holding your wheels steady? The guy mentioned how now they require you to sign a release about not suing the company if you're injured using the unit, and I wondered if it was related to that problem people had before. I remember pushing the button to stop would have fixed the problem, but letting go of the wheels when you want to stop and are flying forward is of course not intuitive!
    You couldn't do your own buttons without a schemetic sp? wiring diagram, which is not available. SCI_OTR has not made his way back here so we don't have his input yet, but as far as I know the only option is hardwire buttons to the battery unit.
    The outdoor mode is the mode that is most difficult for me to stop, and I have thought I was going to run into a few things.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Congratulations ~Lin. I hope it all works out soon for you. And good luck with the move too.

...But I'm finally getting a smart drive.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks! The issues with the move seem to be getting worse as time goes on, I was supposed to have already moved by now. But I can't find a shared housing situation that works (no one wants someone in a wheelchair moving in apparently...) And don't have enough money for my own house right now. I'm supposed to go spend some time at my boyfriends place though which will buy me time.

Its a huge shame SCI_OTR is gone. But I'm really not surprised. What happened to the forum is awful and I really think they should have dialed it backwards before losing so many members. And I can't imagine the slap in the face it was to so many members who have spent so much time here helping others, and to have it suddenly disappear with no access to archives and photos gone for so long. Is all of that back now?

...clip...who have spent so much time here helping others, and to have it suddenly disappear with no access to archives and photos gone for so long. Is all of that back now?
    I suspect many postings during the V5 time period are missing. I know my basketball ad is gone as I wanted to bump it up and offer it locally free. But the pics dimensions and description are gone.

Yea, I've noticed that posts during the V5 debaucle are gone. Personally I'd rather sacrifice those, then the years of archives we couldn't access during that time period. Those are the ones I'm referring to, I can only imagine how SCI_OTR felt with all the personal time he's given to this forum to offer assistance and have that all gone for an indeterminate period of time. I was just checking when he was last active and saw a post about how he wanted to access his own posts to assist with putting together a chair for someone at work and couldn't. Ouch. I know on the forums where I frequently offer assistance (dog/horse training and service dog ones) I frequently use the archives to access my own work to pass on to new people and also just for my own use since its easy to forget things. Not to mention save the time of repeating research when looking up posts with links and such to important information you'd sourced previously.

That really stinks about your basketball chair though. Do you still have the photos on your computer? I'm sure someone would REALLY appreciate the offer of the chair for free! I hope you're able to connect with people locally. There's craigslist, which I know you're aware of but of course offering something free there would be a lot of work to ensure its going to someone who actually needs and will use and appreciate the chair. You can try lifenetswheelchairproject.org but the site doesn't seem to be being updated frequently, especially with chairs offered. I'm thinking people are not offering chairs much as a result of the rare updates. But its where I found my powerchair which I've been so grateful for!