Thread: Recently Joined Forum Because of Dead Brain Tissue

Recently Joined Forum Because of Dead Brain Tissue

I am new to this forum and joined because I recently suffered severe brain damage from an accident specifically to the frontal cortex of my brain. I therefore have a large area of dead tissue. I am new to the field of stem cells and am trying to educate/learn about it on my own. Could anyone by any chance give some information about what type of stem cells/procedure could potentially help with this type of brain damage in the field of stem cells if you have knowledge about stem cells. I guess this would be something to ask Wise Young however since im new I am not familiar about where to ask him this.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
    Sog

I am not aware of any current research or therapeutic programs using stem cells to treat traumatic brain injuries in humans, either in the USA or elsewhere. I am familiar with some studies looking at this with both Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, but not TBI.

I will alert Dr. Young to your question and ask him to comment when he gets a chance.

(KLD)

Thank you so much for this response, so nice of you to reply.
    I was not sure whether to put my post in the brain injury forum as I had bleeding in the front of my brain making it almost in the category of stroke, since a lot of strokes have bleeding in the brain which leads to the dead tissue.
    That would really be helpful if Dr. Young had any knowledge about how I could keep up to date with the research on this. I know that the science for stem cells is not quite there yet but If I could learn about stem cells on my own then whenever something does come along (in the future) I would have the knowledge to know if its ligit or not and if it could help. First I have to learn about stem cells though, to know the answer to what could potentially help this type of damage.

Thank you again.
    Sincerely,
    Sog

I am also young, in my early 20's so this has been heartbreaking for my family and I, as I am so young and now stuck with a serious handicap.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Sog

I would recommend spending some time in our Cure forum, as you will find many threads and discussions about CNS use of stem cells (both brain and spinal cord) there.

(KLD)

And sign up at clinicaltrials.gov for the areas you are interested in.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks for your responses. It seems like there is not a whole lot of trials going on with stem cells for brain damage. Hard to find the answer to what would potentially improve dead tissue in the brain.
    Here is a website someone sent me about new TMS protocols helping brain damage: www.anexistingtechnology.webs.com
    if it can be of help to anyone...