Thread: Xanax for Nerve / Central pain .. WORKS like Magic cure ! Anyone else?

Xanax for Nerve / Central pain .. WORKS like Magic cure ! Anyone else?

My husband (C6/7) has been in pain since his accident.. I know that many of you are cursed with it as well, and I truly sympathize with each and every one of you. We have tried many things - from oxycodone to amytriptyline, baclofen, neurontin, and every non medicinal cure imaginable to no avail. My husband has always been prescribed a small amount of Xanax , which he has used once a night at bedtime to fall asleep. At some point we noticed that he is not in pain after he takes it .. and we now use it as the ONLY thing that controls his nerve pain. .. every time he takes it, a short time later, he says "I"M NOT IN PAIN ANYMORE". And it is such a blessing and a load from my shoulders every time i hear him say that. I know Xanax is addictive, and not a good drug, but if its between that and pain, we'll take it. Every day is like torture for both of us otherwise. He hasn't been given enough of it to be pain free, just for short periods, but I urge anyone who suffers to give it a try, responsibly and respectfully

Glad he's found some relief, tempted to ask my Dr about it. Have you tried the extended release?

That's wonderful you found something that works. Xanax is not a great med to get dependent on for pain, but I understand how huge this is to find something. It also has a pretty short half life. There are longer acting medicines from the same class (Benzodiazepines) that may also give relief, last longer, are less habit forming (although you should never stop them abruptly). Has he every tried diazepam (valium)? A lot of people with spasms try it. The down sides with these meds are that they make you tired, but that can be a good thing at night of course. But talk with his doc so they know the benefit he is having now with Xanax and how he is taking it, and maybe they can help you review all options.

Glad you found relief, like many drugs it works for some small percentage seems we all end up with different protocols. Also note that withdrawal or quitting Benzodiazepines can be lethal and must be done with a doctors supervision. Again I am glad for you !!!

I take it for spasms along with several other drugs and they are going to experiment putting an equivalent in my IT pump as I have to take way too much for it to help.

Ket

I've been taking a low dose of valium for many years, still knocks out spasms like nothing else I've tried. But, if I miss a dose the withdrawal effects are pretty bad. Too bad it hasn't helped with central neuropathy.

I know it's not a pain med, but my anxiety levels increase as well as the back pain. Probably because my spinal cord is squished between vertebras . I also have built up tolerances taking pain meds over 18 years now, as opposed to bone fusions. As long as I feel happy enough to get up and work, I don't care what it's called or if it's opiod( preferably) or not, like useless Ultram. Xanax was given to me and I felt happy, thus taking my mind off my excruciating L5/s1 spondilolisthesis.
    newbe

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    What doseage are people taking of Xanax ?
    just started on 0.25mg before bed...
    to be honest didn't notice much, but wake up as though I haven't had any sleep, and a fuzzy head.. similar to a light hangover.

I've had better success with flexeril 5mg, still wake up with a light hangover feeling, but allows me to get to sleep quicker and somewhat good night of sleep, not great but if I really want to get some sleep I'll take it.

Yes, me too

I have had chronic pain starting with sciatica in 1988 or so when I was in a car that was stopped in traffic and rear-ended by someone. I didn't think much of it at the time, but within a month or two, I started having pain in the buttocks (primarily the right side). In 1994 I started having bad neck pain, and 10 years later I had C3/4/5 fused with no relief. In ~2007, after driving in our Suburban in stop & go traffic for ~3 hours, the top of my right foot started hurting (which I attributed to the constant back & forth between gas & brakes). When the pain hadn't gone away, I saw my Physiatrist and he informed me it was an extension of sciatica & likely caused by some damage at L5/S1. (Apparently the nerve associated with sciatica ends at the tops of your feet.) Cutting to the chase, I too have tried every one of the drugs listed in this thread since 1994, and the *only* one that actually eliminates the nerve pain in the tops of my feet (and my upper right arm, another story), is alprazolam. I have not experimented with Rx's for other benzo's to know if a longer-acting med might be better. Two doctors (both of them Physiatrists) have confirmed that xanax can be effective for nerve pain.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    My husband (C6/7) has been in pain since his accident.. I know that many of you are cursed with it as well, and I truly sympathize with each and every one of you. We have tried many things - from oxycodone to amytriptyline, baclofen, neurontin, and every non medicinal cure imaginable to no avail. My husband has always been prescribed a small amount of Xanax , which he has used once a night at bedtime to fall asleep. At some point we noticed that he is not in pain after he takes it .. and we now use it as the ONLY thing that controls his nerve pain. .. every time he takes it, a short time later, he says "I"M NOT IN PAIN ANYMORE". And it is such a blessing and a load from my shoulders every time i hear him say that. I know Xanax is addictive, and not a good drug, but if its between that and pain, we'll take it. Every day is like torture for both of us otherwise. He hasn't been given enough of it to be pain free, just for short periods, but I urge anyone who suffers to give it a try, responsibly and respectfully