Thread: Tire scrape protector

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tire scrape protector

My husband is prone to skin bumps/scrapes when he does bed-chair transfers.
    While doing random searches , I found this item on the University of Victoria-CanAssist website:
    http://www.canassist.ca/EN/main/prog...r-cushion.html.
    One of the CanAssist researchers told me it's called a "Wheelchair Cozy" and provided the name/phone of a DME vendor who sells them to Canadian Rehab Hospitals and Nursing facilities. When I called, the DME vendor didn't want to ( or couldn't ) ship to the US. All my searches for the term "Wheelchair Cozy" have just turned up fleece-lined leg warmer blankets.
    Has anyone seen an item like this available in the US?

Sorry, but I have not seen that before. Could you maybe try a gel pad that you could bend over the tire? I'll let you know if I see anything, because we have sometimes wanted something like this also when doing lateral transfers.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I use a bath towel or a piece of foam pipe insulation. The towels free, the pipe foam is $1 for 4 feet. Cut in pieces you can keep a hunk in the car, next to the toilet, bed, etc.

Good idea with the foam pipe insulation. I'm going to give it a try, especially on our rigid sideguards that are higher than the wheels. I love these cheap ways of solving problems. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I use a bath towel or a piece of foam pipe insulation. The towels free, the pipe foam is $1 for 4 feet. Cut in pieces you can keep a hunk in the car, next to the toilet, bed, etc.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Nice idea ! I've got some in the garage left over from the great Texas freeze of 2014. We'll try it out this week. Thanks baldfatdad.