Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What laptop brand do you like?

That was not my experience. My Toshiba (which I still have at the bottom of a pile), gave me problems but moreover I didn't find it such a good computer. The screen wasn't very clear, the touchpad was maddening and I adjusted it as much as possible and something happened to the powercord such that it required a feather's touch to stop it from or get it working again and I never took the Toshiba out of the house or dropped it. People's mileage does vary with anything and I am glad to hear that some people are having good experiences with the maker but I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by EloRift View Post
    toshiba is the best!

I find Panasonic ToughBooks are the best when ruggedness and reliability must be tops. I like Dell Latitude 5000 and higher, HP ProBook and EliteBook, Lenovo Thinkpad T, X, and W lines, and Fujitsu LifeBooks the best. I like business class laptops best from a durability and reliability point of view. And they are easier to repair and to upgrade. And are sturdy.

Different people have different needs. I travel a lot as well as do software development so want lightweight and power. I have a macbook air w/ 8gb ram, i7 and 512g SSD and a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with the same. On the air I run vmware fusion with an ubuntu 14.04 vm and on the X1 vware workstation with an ubuntu 14.04 vm. I prefer the thinkpad, mainly because of the red nub and real "mouse keys" above the touch pad. I find the mac touchpad cumbersome when I have to "right click" to get the copy/paste menu. Other than that the machine's performance is identical. I do have a touch screen and windows 8.1, which I like (a lot of people don't). At under 3 pounds and razor thin, the X1 is amazing for the performance it has. The Air is similar, you just pay almost 2x for the same hardware.

HP dv7 here with an i7. Seems pretty rugged compared to a bunch of Dells I had before which physically fell apart. My second HP, the first burnt out the backlight, this one has a fine green line in the screen (too lazy to warranty it, now its out of warranty, oh well). But I like it, nice and solid and works great. Win 8.1 after getting used to it is nice, quick boot, no crashes, I like it. A hybrid SSD/platter drive in it is pretty speedy as well. Nice and big so it carries well on your lap (I don't take it anywhere but around the house), and a screen you can see.

I have a Macbook Pro(2013)Retina.Love features and reliablity.There is a learning curve.Name:  IMG_0608 2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  181.4 KB
    Labrador retrievers are truly man's best friend!

Right now I am looking at the Lenovo laptops. Considering the Yoga or the ThinkPad.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletu...ge=2&pageSize=
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

You've got to take a look at this: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...notebook-ever/

The World’s Best Pro Notebook

Along with these powerful new processors, MacBook Pro features the best Mac notebook display ever, a stunning Retina display with 500 nits of brightness, support for the P3 wide color gamut and True Tone technology, for a natural, true-to-life viewing experience. It also comes with incredibly immersive stereo speakers with wide-stereo sound, the security and convenience of Touch ID, dynamic and contextual controls with Touch Bar and a large Force Touch trackpad. MacBook Pro also features blazing fast SSD storage, the Apple T2 Security Chip for enhanced security, and powerful and versatile Thunderbolt 3 ports for data transfer, charging and connecting up to two 5K displays or four external GPUs.
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-22-2019 at 10:43 AM.

The OP's question (4+ years ago!) had to do with reliability.

But, t8burst's comment:
    Different people have different needs
    applies, regardless of criteria chosen.

I've a buddy who is particularly hard on laptops -- as he is frequently deployed for natural disasters (e.g., Puerto Rico). He uses a ToughBook. I've had to repair it twice -- but, consider that a great track record, given the amount of abuse it sees "in the field". The fact that it is repairable, to me, is a huge testament to it's design (so many laptops are "snap-together-bits-of-plastic" that are disposable, once anything craps out).

I had a high-end Dell (same guy) in because the power connection failed (mechanically). This was a chore to repair (requiring disassembling the ENTIRE laptop to get down to the bare metal chassis). And, exact replacement parts weren't available so I had to machine the shell, a bit. But, AFAIK, it's still in service (after a $5 investment in a replacement connector).

It's unlikely most folks will have access to someone like me (who works for free :> ) so your strategy should be to avoid these sorts of problems!

Keyboards tend to see the most abuse (they see the most MOTION! spills, cigarette ash, etc.). But, power connectors also fail (when someone puts too much strain on it) as do hinges (there are wires running up through the hinge mechanisms). Likewise, optical drives (flimsy and easily stressed if you apply too much pressure to them.

Note that a laptop can still be usable even with a bad battery, broken display, damaged keyboard, broken optical drive, etc. It just loses much of it's "laptop-ness"! (e.g., external monitor, keyboard, DVD-ROM, etc.)

Aim for the least that you can get by with. E.g., if you don't need an optical drive (can rely on a network connection, instead), then skip it. If you can live with wireless speeds (instead of incurring the risk that a WIRED connector would have), then skip the wired network connection. If you can live without a keyboard (!), then skip that as well (i.e., a tablet). Less things to break!

I used to carry an old/tiny Sony laptop that was barebones (external optical drive, external connections for damn near everything!). But, I was mainly using it for email and taking notes. As I started doing more with laptops, while traveling, I needed a bigger keyboard, display, more memory, etc. I now alternate between an HP 8730w and an HP Pavillion dv7-4285dx -- both are large and heavy, but give me the screen and keyboard sizes that I desire.

[I'd never use a laptop as my sole computer as they're just too limited for the sorts of things I do.]