Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for best shock absorbing outdoor rear tires

Another thing to be careful on make sure the tires and rims are both either American measurement or metric. I got burned once trying to put bicycle tires on wheelchair rims. Rims were metric even though sold in inches. Tried sticking those on at bike shop and it was no deal. Maybe in Europe you will have far more selection. I could only find a few 540. Can find as many as you would like 24".

I assume as Gordy states, you may also need to play with the width of wheel hub and axle. Try to get as much info as you can before spending your money.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did not realize that this was going to take so much effort in researching (stupid me )

Unfortuantely, I am seeing that all of the Schwalbe shock absorbing "balloon" tires are ETRTO 507's: Big Apple ETRTO 50-507 or 55-507 or Big Ben ETRTO 55-507. The only Schwalbe 540 that I can see that might help with shock absorption is the Airborne. For others 50-540, 55-540, etc., mostly what I am finding is knobby's like the Kenda Nevegal K1010 or Kobra K885.

I also found Rubena V41 Walrus 47-540's that might be interesting. There is not much information on their website, but in their catalog I don't see them listed, nor on their European site. In the catalog It lists the 26" version as 280 kPa (40 psi) with a weight of 1050 grams (37 oz.). I have read that they are handmade in the Czech Republic. I sent them an e-mail to see what they could tell me about them. We had some Rubena's on a transport bike, and although they were quite heavy, they might work because they are quite low PSI.

It's a shame, because everything that I read about "balloon" tires at this link balloon tire advantages shows that they really would help with shock absorption. There is also some good information about converting to balloon tires. They are about bikes, but I would assume that much of it is applicable for wheelchairs too. Probably the most important point is "balloon tires are not only wider, but also stand taller on the rim". For us that would not be a big problem because he will not self-propel much with them on, but I wanted to point it out because they will also affect rear seat height (RSH).

@Gordy1 - Wow, those Hoggy G's look nice. Good that the Icon can accommodate them so easily. I bet he is going to have fun with those on the beach. What rims are they on? On their website it says "Fits any 24" x 1.75", 24" x 2.135" and 24" wider rims", but I can't find their ETRTO number. I have a feeling that the 24" x 1.75" = 47-507 and the 24" x 2.135" = ETRTO 55-507. If you have a moment, will you take a look? (thanks).
    Last edited by elarson; 06-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Shute, I was hoping you'd find a way to use the Big Apples.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Me too nonoise. I wish they made more tire choices for 540's...

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Shute, I was hoping you'd find a way to use the Big Apples.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

What chair do you have again? Can you take a pic of the camber tube and the camber plugs?

The camber plugs should be adjustable. They slide into the camber tube. If you look at the camber tube you will see where the bracket attaches to the chair. You can loosen the bracket at pull the camber plugs out some and tighten the bracket back down. That will give you some space. The bracket attaches to the chair and the camber tube loosen the ones attached to the camber tube

He has a 16 x 18 ZRA with 24" Spinergy LX's (ETRTO 25-540) with titanium camber tube with 2 degree of camber.

Here are photo's of the camber plugs and camber tube.
    Name:  2014 03 06_3330.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  139.5 KBName:  camber tube after d's locks.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  80.2 KB

I'm curious why you are asking. Got an idea?

Ok you see the bracket right next to your d's locks?

Thanks. I'm aware of that. The problem is not the camber tube/plugs, but finding good shock absorbing tires that are 540's. I think we would be fine with anything up to 2" (e.g., 50-540's) with our current 1" rear wheel spacing. I don't mind adding a small spacer, but don't want to do more than that or the chair is too wide when used indoors. Call me lazy, but I don't want to add/remove spacers every time we go outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    The camber plugs should be adjustable....