Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Advice for best shock absorbing outdoor rear tires

Thanks robotnik. I had thought that these were the Kenda Kobra, but just named different on Sportaid: http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-wide-k...-sidewall.html

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    I run these.

They are wider (50-540) and have knobs on the sides only. Less drag and nice damping effect.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I run these tires on my backup,. They do not have a deep tread, which would provide some of the absorption. In my opinion, they are horrible traction. I have run these http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-nevega...air-tires.html and have far better traction. They should absorb more for you. However, the tires with better traction wear somewhat quick. I have used both of the tires

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks robotnik. I had thought that these were the Kenda Kobra, but just named different on Sportaid: http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-wide-k...-sidewall.html

@elarson,
    May be these can help you ?
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...8Sun-50-507%29
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

I did see them. Thanks. I'm still trying to decide what makes the most sense, and waiting for more input from our dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    @elarson,
    May be these can help you ?
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...8Sun-50-507%29
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

For anyone interested, especially in Europe, I just noticed that the Tween 24" Tout Terrain (All Terrain) 24" x 1.95 (50-507) wheels that were mentioned earlier in this post by robotnik are on sale in France at Tween.

They were €225 (US $285 at today's exchange rate) and are now €175 (US $221). I've asked them about international shipping and will post back what I hear from them. Similar Off Road 24" x 1.95 (50-507) wheels at Sportaid are US $279 (€220), but with shipping from the US, that will be much more.

[TABLE="class: ucc-result-table"]
    [TR="class: uccRes"]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [TD="class: rightCol, width: 47%, align: left"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

wheels for the Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    For anyone interested, especially in Europe, I just noticed that the Tween 24" Tout Terrain (All Terrain) 24" x 1.95 (50-507) wheels that were mentioned earlier in this post by robotnik are on sale in France at Tween.

They were ?225 (US $285 at today's exchange rate) and are now ?175 (US $221). I've asked them about international shipping and will post back what I hear from them. Similar Off Road 24" x 1.95 (50-507) wheels at Sportaid are US $279 (?220), but with shipping from the US, that will be much more.

[TABLE="class: ucc-result-table"]
    [TR="class: uccRes"]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [TD="class: rightCol, width: 47%, align: left"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    elarson, wondering what you decided to do as far as those Firefly wheels go, after ready this post and your webesite--thank you for so much information, I did somemore looking and found tires called e-bike ready through schwalbe, two tires the Big Ben and the marathon plus, Big Ben better for suspension, good puncture protection but not as good as Marathon, but again it mentions nothing about suspension. Both would still need the 507 rims, there are also many 559 rim options. I need to stick with the 507 since I use Emotion 24in daily and don't want to have to make so many adjustments when I use the Firefly

I just posted an update on my efforts to do custom wheels, which I think came out great, over here...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...54#post1785254

Bottom line, is that IMHO, all else being equal, the wider / softer the tire, the more bump absorbing it will be... However running wide tires will lead one to have to make the choice between skipping the push-rims and just pushing on the tire instead, or making the chair significantly wider... (Figure that a pair of push rims will add 2-3" to the total width of the chair, which is easily the difference between making it through a narrow door or not...

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

Thanks Gooserider. We still have not sorted out our situation. I haven't processed all that you wrote, but it certainly is good information. On my quick review, it looks like you took all the considerations into hand, and it's what my gut feeling is. I hope I get time to explore this more soon and ask you some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-Gooserider View Post
    I just posted an update on my efforts to do custom wheels, which I think came out great, over here...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...54#post1785254

Bottom line, is that IMHO, all else being equal, the wider / softer the tire, the more bump absorbing it will be... However running wide tires will lead one to have to make the choice between skipping the push-rims and just pushing on the tire instead, or making the chair significantly wider... (Figure that a pair of push rims will add 2-3" to the total width of the chair, which is easily the difference between making it through a narrow door or not...

ex-Gooserider

No problem, glad to help out...

A few other data points that may be worth noting....

I chose nearly slick street tread tires for a few different reasons, they probably give a smoother ride than you'd get with knobby tread tires, but are a bit harder to grip... If a person has grip strength issues, knobby tires might be better for pushing on, but might be 'grabby' when braking... They might also have some strange interactions with the chair brakes

I did a weight comparison between the wheels I built, and the ones I normally use indoors. My indoor wheels are a SPOX model (not sure which) with Mako 'KIK' solid 24x1 (25-540?) (I think, they don't have size markings on them) tires, which are supposedly the lowest rolling resistance solids, and the regular size Natural Fit push-rims.... There was less than 2 oz weight difference between them.

I don't think there is any advantage to going with a less than 3-cross spoke pattern. The number of spokes used is the same, so the only difference is that the spokes in a radial pattern would be a little shorter. I cranked the numbers through one of the spoke length calculators just to see what the difference was, and IIRC it was about 3mm, 236mm vs 239mm. So a radial pattern would be lighter by 36 x 3 = 108 mm, or about 1/2 a spoke... IIRC the spokes were something like 2-3g, so an insignificant number... According to the references I found on the physics of how a spoked wheel works, there is also no significant 'suspension' advantage for any spoking pattern, but the 3-cross is definitely the strongest....

I haven't measured the width of the chair with the different wheels, but it feels about the same. However adding push-rims to the outdoor wheels would make it a LOT wider....

Fat tires make the chair look really different, IMHO much more 'BAAD-A$$'

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.