Thread: Had ankle surgery a week ago now red and burning at incision site

Had ankle surgery a week ago now red and burning at incision site

This is for the nurses or anyone who can answer i had my ankle reconstruction surgery a week ago yesterday. Am doing ok i think but the last few days i have increasing redness and burning at the incision sites and also have a low grade fever, last night it was 99.5 and an hour after pain meds it was back to normal. Same as tonight. I am planning on calling the surgeon tomorrow just to let him know but could this be the start of an infection?
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Yes, this sounds like you may have an infection of your incision. Are you still on antibiotics from the surgery? If your fever continues up, or the redness get larger in area you need to go to the ER. Otherwise, see the surgeon tomorrow and follow their direction in treatment.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD i will call in the morning. I have been changing the dressings 1x a day as we are only keeping gauze over the stiches. No antibiotics from surgery but i am on a daily bactrim to prevent kidney infections

Update i am now in the hospital with an infection on iv antibiotics with possible surgery tomorrow if the iv antibiotics don't help.

So sorry, but glad you caught it early and let your surgeon know. Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job.

(KLD)