Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TiLite Acquired by Permobil

If they are smart, they will do as they said.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomoftheWest View Post
    I have a friend who works on the assembly floor there...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

It's the Tilite people who make Tilite. The welding is perfect. You don't have to worry about the welder having a bad day or being mad at the company and doing a quick half-job on your chair. All the chairs come out the same. They get the measurements right, all the stuff down the line. If people have had different experiences, I respect that but this has been my experience. I only need to order my Tilite and it will come perfect and stay that way for years. It's the people there who make that happen and if it changes, if some brainiac decides there is a way to save money by cutting a little corner then, that's it. I wouldn't care so much but I am not handling disability well. Coming up on 19 years in a chair. I hate this shit but if I have to use a chair or any other equipment I need to be able to count on it. I've carefully selected my vendors, painfully sometimes. I know what works for me and I believe Tilite works because of it's people. Permobil says they aren't going to change things .. now. Oh lord just let Tilite do what they do so well, make the best chairs. if it changes, I guess I'll be seeing about Lasher and if Oracing finally gets approval or I don't know what. I remember coming down a ramp, making a turn and having the left side of my chair fail (not naming brand). Scared me to death. Got my Tilite right away. Years of use and abuse and it's perfect every time.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomoftheWest View Post
    I have a friend who works on the assembly floor there. He said when they announced it, they said the CEO came and said nothing was changing, except for maybe some sales team stuff. He would still be in the same position (running TiLite), and no workforce changes were happening in the plant, nor any location moving or anything like that. Everything will basically be the exact same as it has been.

Just as a note, for some of us international folks, having a more international presence for TiLite may be of benefit (we have 2 TiLite chairs). We formerly had a Permobil Corpus C350 power chair, and overall, we had no complaints.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Just as a note, for some of us international folks, having a more international presence for TiLite may be of benefit (we have 2 TiLite chairs). We formerly had a Permobil Corpus C350 power chair, and overall, we had no complaints.
    True. Anyway, Permobil is a Swedish company, and the swedes have a great business reputation (far better than the Americans do). I think they started Colours and spun it off to concentrate on power...

The only upside I can see to Permobil is that they are not a mega corp. like Invacare & Sunrise that are into everything with no particular focus on anything. Permobil will just have the two product lines, their own power chairs and the Ti Lite manual chairs. Another benefit as far as I know Permobil is still a privately owned company? They have a vast number of shareholders to answer to and keep happy. As far as the statement from Phantom Of The West attributed to David Lipses, that sort of statement is pretty much standard corporate drivel.

I think we can safely assume they did not buy it to improve the product or reduce it's retail price at the same quality. Profit is the motive word here.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I do agree with the "for profit" statement. And "standard talk." Mergers are clearly for making more money. To make the more money, it will be done in whatever way they had in mind when they even starting talking merge. Unfortunately money counts for everything. You do not merge with the intent to go out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
    I wonder what this means for the future of TiLite? Hopefully quality doesn't start going downhill. I'm not so sure I'm happy about this.

http://www.tilite.com/tilite_permobil.php

http://permobilus.com/press2.php
    We are very excited about the merger here at TiLite. Permobil has asked David Lippes (the man who started TiLite and has built it to what it is today) to stay on in his current position and run TiLite. I've worked for David since he bought the company back in 1997. David demands excellence and leads by example. David is excited about the merger (so consequently we are too) and feels this will be great for TiLite and the wheelchair community. He wants to see his "baby" succeed and continue to grow and feels the union of Permobil and TiLite will give the end users the best options out there. The best manual wheelchair and the best power wheelchair all under one umbrella....hence the "Dream Team".
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Great news I've been planning (in great detail) my next chair (TR, I hope), which I plan to be ordering next spring/summer. I'd hate to see inconsistent changes to the quality and design trends of that chair.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Hey everyone. I'm a dealer for both TiLite and Permobil. If anyone will keep the quality of TiLite chairs high, it's Permobil. Those guys are already the TiLite equivalent of the power chair market. Not cheap, but they make stuff nobody else has even thought of yet. Personally, I see this as a good thing.
    From my perspective as a dealer, I also see this as good. My Permobil factory rep is one of the best I have. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to give out his cell phone number to end users. My old TiLite rep, on the other hand, would never return a phone call unless I had an order for him.
    Im excited about the news.