Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is sensation return possible?

Quote Originally Posted by rioderbi View Post
    A recent study I read believes that sensory spinal cord nerves grow UP from the periphery nerves to the brain and motor nerves grow down. This would mean that we'd have little to no hope of reconnecting sensory neurons to their original docking points even if nerves are able to breach the lesion.

Am I also to think that it's possible that motor neurons could grow multiple feet through the spinal cord tissue below the lesion and find their original docking points? How is that even conceivable?
    I guess the idea is not reconnecting a point to another, but giving the opportunity to the CNS to re-organize itself..

Quote Originally Posted by George78 View Post
    I guess the idea is not reconnecting a point to another, but giving the opportunity to the CNS to re-organize itself..
    Thats exactly it. It will be much easier to just regenerate the nervous system, then let it re-organize through training.

Seriously has a clinical trial ever recorded return in sensation?? Especially I'm terms of sexual function, effects quality-of-life majorly. Do clinical trials ever even collect data on sexual function return? It seems to be treated like a taboo even in professional medical scenarios. The epidural stimulator trial focused more on moving of limps bladder and bowel function, nothing official on sexual function returns. Even though it was apparently achieved, according to patients and a few smaller articles. This is such a major function for people affected with paralysis, mentally, physically, emotionally it's extremely serious.

Are the sensory nerves in a entirely different section of the spinal cord that could have been completely spared? I always understood there was a thing called "auto-destruction" and if your cord was injured bad enough to make you a motor complete chances are it destroyed the sensory nerves.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-07-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I truly believe there will be major scientific advances in SCI research, especially for sensation.

I am Polio-paralyzed and recently saw the story on TV of how live Polio virus was used for a phase 1 trial using persons with a cancerous brain tumor. As these tumors are encapsulated, the polio virus cannot escape the tumor to bother other parts of the body. The phase 1 study was to determine the correct dosage of Polio virus. Two individuals had the cancerous tumor completed killed. When the dosage was increased in other patients in the study, there was at least one death. They found that the increased virus that was introduced was too large and signaled the body's natural immune system to attack with big guns, causing fatal brain swelling.
    I'm sorry if my explanation is off, but I was left happy that the Polio virus was finally good for something.
    I also feel that such breakthroughs will have to occur with SCI research, even though it's probably no where near the funding of cancer research. There must be scientists out there who can 'think outside the box' and make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    One thing I've really been thinking about is I have a friend who is T4 complete just like me, we play Tennis and I can tell he is definitely a T4, but he claims to have complete sensation throughout his body, sexual function and all. I don't really buy this, he was injured in the late 70's before MP was used. Anybody know if this is even possible? a complete motor t4 with perfect sensory nerves? I could see maybe patchy sensation especially if he was able to move something below his injury, but he sure looks like a T4 complete to me. He brags a lot about being able to feel and that all us other w/c tennis players cannot, this is what really bothers me. Are the sensory nerves in a entirely different section of the spinal cord that could have been completely spared? I always understood there was a thing called "auto-destruction" and if your cord was injured bad enough to make you a motor complete chances are it destroyed the sensory nerves. Any info on this would be appreciated as I really believe I'm right that no way in heck does this guy have full sensation throughout his body being a motor complete. I have seen him smash the raquet on his leg too during a serve (I've done the same and got a huge flash of A/D) and not even flinch, if he could feel he woulda been screaming out.
    Curt,
    I'm with you. He probably has some sensation and calls it complete. I'm a C5/6 quad with no movement below my level of injury, but I have sensation all over. However, it isn't normal, For example, I feel touch, but no temperature, and pain is reduced.
    Regardless, if you had 50% of normal, you'd probably call it normal because you no longer have normal to compare it to. I'll bet that if a "cure" came about and restored even 10%, we'd be pretty happy with that!

I've been wondering about sensory return with the epidural stimulator. The guys in that trial claim some bowel and bladder function returned but does that imply some sensory return as well? It seems like you'd have to have some sensation to have normal bowel and bladder function, wouldn't you?

I do remember some claimed sexual function returned after epidural stim use, it seems like though all the results are very foggy and unclear just like everything in SCI research.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thanks Kh, I just don't believe that somebody can have a definite complete motor injury and perfectly normal sensation, makes no sense. If the spinal cord was damaged enough to cause a complete injury motor then at the most sensation would be patchy and affected in many different ways and not perfectly normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    Curt,
    I'm with you. He probably has some sensation and calls it complete. I'm a C5/6 quad with no movement below my level of injury, but I have sensation all over. However, it isn't normal, For example, I feel touch, but no temperature, and pain is reduced.
    Regardless, if you had 50% of normal, you'd probably call it normal because you no longer have normal to compare it to. I'll bet that if a "cure" came about and restored even 10%, we'd be pretty happy with that!
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-05-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I'm a c3 20 years post and past 2 years i have been getting sensation return slowly in my legs, butt, back and ribs. it's driving me nuts because now my butt and the back of my thighs throb when i sit for long periods. i feels so good feeling the soft fabric of my sweatpants on my legs and having someone rub my legs feels great. especially after having not felt that in 20 years. i feel like i've gotten some muscles back in my trunk area. i can't see anything move but i can feel the muscles contract and burn like crazy if i try moving them. but with that said i'm experiencing alot of pain as well.