Thread: Taking patient lift on flight

Taking patient lift on flight

Hi, I am debating on whether I want to take my own lift or rent when I travel from Philadelphia to San Francisco in September. I had hoped to be approved for the Hoyer Advance, but the process is taking longer then expected. I've attached a picture of my current lift when it is taken apart. What I would likely do is heavily bubble-wrap it, and place into a giant duffle-style bag. If I could find a more sturdy container/bag to place it in, would be better. Renting we wouldn't have to worry about loss/damage, or transporting to/from the airport, but the cost would be $300-350, and then there is the unknown of the lift itself, and how compact it is (we will be using a minivan to travel several days). Any thoughts or leads to luggage that might fit the lift? Thanks

(I'm having trouble uploading the photo right now)

You don't have to put it in a bag or suitcase. I would just bubble wrap it and packing tape or duct tape it, alone with with signage that it is medical equipment, but leave wheels out so it can be rolled to be loaded into the plane. Hopefully you will be able to get your Hoyer Advance or some other type of compact travel type lift in time. We used to gate check ours along with the the wheelchair, and make a case for it that had directions for moving it on it in both English and Spanish.

(KLD)

if you do rent one make sure the company you rent from understands it has to fit underneath a bed. countless times with my ex we had a hoyer arrive at a hotel that didn't fit under the bed.

Usually the problem is the bed, not the lift. Too many hotels use platform beds, even in accessible rooms, so you can't fit a lift under the bed. Also, I have rarely been able to find rentable lifts other than old antique Invacares or older Hoyers (like the ones with the chains).

(KLD)

That is the type I currently have (an Invacare with the chains, 20 years old). I'm having trouble uploading a pic (I get an orange exclamation point).

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    That is the type I currently have (an Invacare with the chains, 20 years old). I'm having trouble uploading a pic (I get an orange exclamation point).
    That usually is an indication that the photo is too large. Try downsizing it a bit, and then try to post again.

(KLD)

It is only 300 kb

Although this is slightly off topic from my original post, I was curious about using my wheelchair cushion on the plane. I use a Roho high profile. When I have flown previously, I did not use my cushion and experienced discomfort. My only concern with using the cushion is that I am 6'4, and already sit very high without the added height of the cushion. it is a long flight so I want to be comfortable all the way around.I see that roho makes a specific cushion for flying. I'm wondering is this would be effective enough for pressure relief while also being not as high?

Also, regarding seat assignment. ..we are currently assigned the bulkhead seats, aisle and middle. The window seat is open. Are those seats able to be used by someone needing to be transferred? I wouldn't want to jeopardize the lifters or my safety, but thought that seat would offer the most privacy for keeping an eye on my plumbing.
    Last edited by landrover; 06-04-2014 at 01:05 AM.