Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Manage your bowels with Peristeen

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
    So I would like to give peristeen or something like it a try. So how would I go about doing that is it available in Canada? Do I need to talk to a doctor first? I've been having similar problems as others suppositories just aren't doing the job anymore and I'm spending hours on the toilet. And the worry of my bowels affects every decision I make.
    I'm not sure if Grace Bartholet's territory includesCanada, but I imagine she can direct you to the right person.

Grace Bartholet
    1601 West River Road
    Minneapolis, MN 55411
    United States

http://www.us.coloplast.com
    Mail to : usgdb@coloplast.com
    Direct Line- 612.337.7861
    Toll Free - 1-866-226-6362

Thanks I have a call in just waiting to hear back. Do you use peristeen?
    Its only at the brink of our own destruction that we learn to change.

Thanks I have a call in just waiting to hear back. Do you use peristeen?
    Yes, I use it. Do a search and you'll find many posts from me describing my experience with it.

Think I need to switch to this. My bowels were SO MUCH BETTER after Fampyra. I took a bad fall about ten weeks ago and I'm going days without going ... like weekly. Diarrhea like clay. Flaccid paralysis.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

So I finally got my unit and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. So how much water should I put in my bowel for first time? I only got 2 rectal catheters you can clean them and re-use them right? How long does 1 rectal catheter last?

So I finally got my unit and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. So how much water should I put in my bowel for first time? I only got 2 rectal catheters you can clean them and re-use them right? How long does 1 rectal catheter last?
    Trial and error will be your guide as to how much water to use. I use a full bag -- 1 liter -- though I don't recall how much I used when I first started. I would caution against using MORE than 1 liter, so that you're not prone to a "surprise" hours afterward.

You can wash the catheters and reuse them, though they're intended to be used one time only. Eventually, the latex cuff will rupture and then you're SOL.

One more thing: the Peristeen won't save you if your diet is low in fiber. A diet rich in vegetables, fruit and grain promotes the best gut transit time. Pain medications and anticholinergics can also slow things down -- all the more reason to eat a diet that has little to no dairy and meat (which has zero fiber).

When I usually do my bowel routine there is some poo already at the bottom of the bowel. I should remove that first and then insert the catheter right? Should i expect some accidents well first getting use to it? And i can use tap water right?(just at body temperature)

When I usually do my bowel routine there is some poo already at the bottom of the bowel. I should remove that first and then insert the catheter right? Should i expect some accidents well first getting use to it? And i can use tap water right?(just at body temperature)
    Yes, remove what you can before you insert the catheter and instill your bowel.
    I can't predict whether you will have accidents at first -- everyone's different.
    I use warm tap water, definitely NOT hot water. I wouldn't obsess over the this.

One last question is it one time instillation of 1 litre into the bowel or do you put 400-500-ml take the catheter out and rinse an repeat?

Thanks for all the help I really hope this can work for me.

One last question is it one time instillation of 1 litre into the bowel or do you put 400-500-ml take the catheter out and rinse an repeat?

Thanks for all the help I really hope this can work for me.
    I instill the entire 1 liter at one time.

Search out my other posts on the Peristeen.