Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Manage your bowels with Peristeen

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    How did you or any one who was trained come to the conclusion of how much? Or at least where to start. As far as risk is too much water the risk or the catheter the risk?
    I'm self-trained. I guess you can say I'm a prodigy. The Peristeen bag holds 1L of water, which is the amount I use. I am T4 complete and am susceptible to AD, usually minor. If I fill my "tank" with the entire 1L I will experience a smidge of AD, nothing that concerns me. I usually let the water sit in my bowel for a minute or two and let nature start the process. At that point I begin to digital stim, stretching my sphincter to facilitate greater/faster emptying. I will interrupt this to massage my abdomen -- and check my iPhone for mail and FB updates -- until I'm finished. Determining when you're finished requires experience. If I press on my abdomen and can feel all the way through to my spine, I know I'm done .

Total time rarely exceeds 30 minutes.

I do my BP every day. Happiness = empty bowel, empty bladder.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thanks for the details.
    trying to get hooked up via Coloplast, but it all seems to hinge on the training. Be interesting if they would map all the places they consider ok for training, would seem to make it easier to know if you stood a chance to even try the system. Just so you'd know if you could be within a days drive from one of their trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I'm self-trained. I guess you can say I'm a prodigy. The Peristeen bag holds 1L of water, which is the amount I use. I am T4 complete and am susceptible to AD, usually minor. If I fill my "tank" with the entire 1L I will experience a smidge of AD, nothing that concerns me. I usually let the water sit in my bowel for a minute or two and let nature start the process. At that point I begin to digital stim, stretching my sphincter to facilitate greater/faster emptying. I will interrupt this to massage my abdomen -- and check my iPhone for mail and FB updates -- until I'm finished. Determining when you're finished requires experience. If I press on my abdomen and can feel all the way through to my spine, I know I'm done .

Total time rarely exceeds 30 minutes.

I do my BP every day. Happiness = empty bowel, empty bladder.

When you have your consult and training they go over the use of catheter and how much water to use. Its very individual. They require training because you are inserting something into your body. The nurse or trainer makes sure you know how to assemble the system and can use it properly. Since its only water your bowel will absorb it. You can have irritation, cramping, nausea etc. The volume of water used is dependent on results and how u feel. If you can't use a large volume of water they suggest using less and repeating procedure twice. As you use the program you find your comfort level and what works for you. It varies depending on diet, exercise, meds, and any bowel issues ie. Constipation issues. It is taking me time to figure thing out. I am about 30 days in and still getting use to it. It always seems what's best or most useful for us gets tied up in red tape and ins. Hope it becomes more readily available quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Thanks for the details.
    trying to get hooked up via Coloplast, but it all seems to hinge on the training. Be interesting if they would map all the places they consider ok for training, would seem to make it easier to know if you stood a chance to even try the system. Just so you'd know if you could be within a days drive from one of their trainers.
    I talked to them and they did tell me the closest were Chicago and Milwaukee. I would rather drive to Milwaukee and with Medic1 help I called them and had my Dr send a referral to see if they will see me. I can let you know if that works?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    I talked to them and they did tell me the closest were Chicago and Milwaukee. I would rather drive to Milwaukee and with Medic1 help I called them and had my Dr send a referral to see if they will see me. I can let you know if that works?
    That's great news... report back how it goes for you.

Just looking for somewhere in the Pacific North West now

Chicago is a little too far of a stretch for me right now.

im a bit late on this 1 but
    i been doing this for years
    i use http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500cc-Detox...item2ee00fdf8f
    and sterilize the end of the hose in the wee bottle over night
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

these peristeen things http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSk...Catheters.aspx
    thats a ripoff
    whats with the bubble? no wonder you get ad
    just feed the tube up a few inches,

The catheter is inflated so most people can insert and let it go to have use of both hands. Also it keeps the water from leaking out. The system does not have to be hung for gravity. A small hand pump is used for inflating and deflating the catheter. It is also used to pump in the water for irrigation. Giving control over how much and at what pace. This system can be used by a wide range of people, even those who have little hand control. Again, having the consult helps as the nurse is able to give information on using the system and positions that can help make things easier.

yes i see
    but if the rectum is full of stool, geez
    my carers do mine, different strokes for different folks i spoze

So I would like to give peristeen or something like it a try. So how would I go about doing that is it available in Canada? Do I need to talk to a doctor first? I've been having similar problems as others suppositories just aren't doing the job anymore and I'm spending hours on the toilet. And the worry of my bowels affects every decision I make.
    Its only at the brink of our own destruction that we learn to change.