Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP Catheter just came out...

SP Catheter just came out...

This morning, my worker came in and after a quick "good morning, how was your weekend" jabber, she began to get ready to wash me up. As she pulled the cover away, she notice my catheter was just laying upon my stomach. She mildly flipped out, and I upon seeing the entire catheter (with balloon still inflated) outside my body, thought I was having a nightmare. I eventually realized that I was awake and began dialing the health departments on-call number (being a holiday). I received a call back and was told that health department no longer did the on-call tasks and would have to call the home health agency that they worked for. I called their number but it just kept ringing. I had a catheter and kit here at the house and was reluctantly going to have my stepdad do it. He could have done it with me and my workers advice, but he gets a little fidgety when doing such tasks so he went over to the volunteer fire dept. (literally) across the street. Luckily one of the ems workers was very knowledgeable about installing them and did so without a problem. We all thanked her multiple times before she left.

Back story aside, has anyone else had one just seemingly slip out?
    There was no blood on the catheter nor was there blood in the urine (before or after) the catheter change. I have been using the same size catheter (22f) and about 5cc's in the balloon for years and years. (We went ahead and put 10cc's in this time)
    Can the stoma stretch after a while? I have been leaking around my stoma for a few months off and on, but my urologist figured it was uti related bladder spasms. I take 5mg of Ditropan xl.
    Anyhow, this sound familiar to anyone else?

A SP indwelling catheter can be pulled out, just like a urethral catheter (which happens more to women than to men). It is important to get the new catheter inserted quickly, which is why we recommend that a family member or attendant be trained in how to do this. The stoma, even an old one, can close up pretty quickly. We follow the national SUNA guidelines that say it should be replaced within 2-3 minutes.

(KLD)

I realize that they can be pulled out, but this just seemed to slip out... without any signs of bloody residue. I've read that they should be replaced quickly, which is why I panicked. The time that passed before it was replaced was nearly 30 minutes. Most of that time was from waiting to hear from the on-call service. I was just lucky that I had an extra catheter and kit. The home health agency is sort of stingy with supplies. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. My waiver worker is prohibited from doing such things.
    Anyway, is there a chance my stoma is widening?

Yea thts scary if u didnt have any extra on hand. Make sure of that obviously. An EMS trip would have ensued amongst a raving swelling headache upon a filled bladder. This has happened to me once whilst on the road. got out of car I went to grab my day drain bag to empty it and the cath pulled right out..faulty balloon it seemed it was totally depleted.. Amongst other cath changes over at least a month period which is my schedule, my balloon which i fill to at least 5-7 every time, will strangely leak or deflate the water itself to 2-3.. really unsure how thats happening. but in your case with the balloon still fully inflated and it came out, yea thats really awkward.
    The cath goes past the stoma opening and into the bladder lining, which is a type of tissue consisting of multiple layers of epithelial cells which can contract and expand. My urologist said its like a sponge. Maybe your bladder filled and created a large opening. But like you said this has never happened throughout the duration of your SCI, its really strange... I'd call your urologist???
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Stormy, are you by any chance using silicone catheters? The water can actually leak out of the microscopic pours in these catheters. We recommend removing and replacing the water in the balloon weekly due to this.

It is possible that a stoma has been stretched out, esp. if you have not been properly securing the catheter to prevent tension on the sides of the stoma or pistoning of the catheter in and out of the bladder. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but a 5 cc. Foley catheter balloon is actually supposed to be filled with 10 cc. of water.

(KLD)

My catheter usually stays in on position, but I'll try to keep a better eye out. I'll also make sure the balloon is fully filled from now on.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Stormy, are you by any chance using silicone catheters? The water can actually leak out of the microscopic pours in these catheters. We recommend removing and replacing the water in the balloon weekly due to this.

It is possible that a stoma has been stretched out, esp. if you have not been properly securing the catheter to prevent tension on the sides of the stoma or pistoning of the catheter in and out of the bladder. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but a 5 cc. Foley catheter balloon is actually supposed to be filled with 10 cc. of water.

(KLD)
    I did not know this! For years and years I've only been putting 5 in. I've always wondered why the syringe has 10 when the balloon is only 5. What a confusing system!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I'm with you zillazangel, what a confusing system. I've only had mine a year and have only been putting 5cc in it after reading this that is going to change.
    I never secure my cath either, what do you secure it to and with?

Scott, I'd suggest if you ever find yourself with some extra cash that you go on Amazon or one of these medical web sites and order some spare SP catheters and insertion kits. I keep at least two or three extras around the house just in case their are needed one never knows as you unfortunately I found out.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    I'm with you zillazangel, what a confusing system. I've only had mine a year and have only been putting 5cc in it after reading this that is going to change.
    I never secure my cath either, what do you secure it to and with?

Scott, I'd suggest if you ever find yourself with some extra cash that you go on Amazon or one of these medical web sites and order some spare SP catheters and insertion kits. I keep at least two or three extras around the house just in case their are needed one never knows as you unfortunately I found out.
    I'm going to call my home health agency and tell them I need an extra kit and catheter at all times or I'll be getting a new agency.
    When I'm in bed, I lay a thin pillow over my lower belly to prevent my nearly useless left arm and contracted fingers from "grabbing" the catheter. When in the chair I have my drainage bag behind me and all I need do, is make sure I don't bump the left side of my chair against anything that would snag my tube.