Thread: ... Or Not Life

Blog Entries

Angry ... Or Not Life

This really sucks.

Man in Wheelchair Dies After Being Hit By Car, Driver Charged
    May 24th, 2014

WAREHAM, Mass. (AP) ? A Massachusetts driver has been charged with running over a 24-year-old man in a wheelchair, killing him.

Wareham police say a car driven by 28-year-old John Vandeusen of Middleboro hit the wheelchair shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday.

The injured victim, Joshua Macro of Onset, was taken to Tobey Hospital in Wareham, where he died.

Police say Vandeusen face charges of motor vehicle homicide, negligent operation of a motor vehicle and failure to stay in marked lanes.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday at Wareham District Court.

It was not immediately clear if he has legal representation.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Wow, that's pretty close to where I live. Only 24 years old, what a shame. Gotta be so careful wheeling alongside roads, I've nearly been hit a few times in my SCI career.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I have had some close calls. Most have been in parking lots. They are very dangerous places. We had a guy in a wheelchair hit and killed when crossing the street at an intersection. The driver claimed he did not see the bright red power wheelchair with a yellow caution flag flying about 2 feet above the chair.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

SCIfor55, we always teach our clients that they should do just as pedestrians should do when crossing at intersections...catch the eye of the driver before crossing in front of a car, even at a light, even in a crosswalk. I do this myself. Pedestrians are hit all the time, esp. the elderly. Wheelchair users, as we know, are even more "invisible" than ABs to most people, esp. clueless drivers.

(KLD)