Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat cushion?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seat cushion?

Just wondering what everyone uses for a wheelchair seat cushion. Are there any new kinds out there? What have you used that has worked?

Thanks, Clint

Decades back I started with a Roho and it's a fine cushion but experienced repeated puncture leaks. Never had much luck with patching them myself and even with the quick turnaround repair service offered by Roho, it's inconvenient.
    For the past many years, I've been using Supracor Stimulite cushions -- the Classic and the Sport. They are lightweight, easy to clean, maintenance free and virtually indestructible. AND comfortable. So, barring a specific need for a specific type of cushion, I don't think you can go wrong with a Stimulite.

I've used the Supracor Stimulite Classic XS for years and they have worked well for me. I did get an inch of extra cushioning put in one (over and above the XS).

A lot depends on you, different people need very different cushions depending on their medical situation. I'm a para and never had a serious pressure sore, so I can get by with a simpler cushion than some.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Decades back I started with a Roho and it's a fine cushion but experienced repeated puncture leaks. Never had much luck with patching them myself and even with the quick turnaround repair service offered by Roho, it's inconvenient.
    For the past many years, I've been using Supracor Stimulite cushions -- the Classic and the Sport. They are lightweight, easy to clean, maintenance free and virtually indestructible. AND comfortable. So, barring a specific need for a specific type of cushion, I don't think you can go wrong with a Stimulite.

My husband has a Varilite Evolution PSV seat cushion, and we are very happy with it. He also has a Supracor Stimulite Silver cushion, but he only uses that in the shower because it is not an everyday cushion. Both are good and light weight. We like the Varilite because he can adjust the amount of air. The Supracor Stimulite is nice because you can wash it.

Seating is a big deal, and it's probably a good idea to get a seating evaluation done and demo different types before you choose. This was not an option for us, but overall we are happy with what we chose.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Your best bet is to get a seating evaluation with pressure mapping on different cushions to determine which one is best for you. I've had problems with Roho's myself. A couple of times they've gotten really low on me and caused sores which later required surgery. It's important to keep up on your cushion everyday, Especially if it is air filled. Good luck on your quest
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I use a Roho Qaudtro, it's been less than a year and I haven't gotten any leaks. It's changed my life in that I no longer have to transfer and can stay in my chair. Huge difference. I am worried about leaks but they haven't happened to me yet and I am hoping they don't. If it does become a problem I will look at other cushions. I tried a Varilite once at an Abilities Expo and found it hard and uncomfortable. I am open minded though and would try it again, maybe they have softer ones and I might just have a different experience the next time. The thing I have realized as that the right cushion makes a huge difference.

Roho Mosaic, likely the cheapest Roho thats worth a try, outperformed every cushion on my seating evaluation. Can get one on ebay for $65. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roho-Mosaic-...item2c5636c1bb
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

I tried a Stimulite Supracor cushion. I tried it 3 different times and got 3 pressure ulcers. The problem I have is heat but my physiatrist is researching a new and cooler Roho.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    I tried a Stimulite Supracor cushion. I tried it 3 different times and got 3 pressure ulcers. The problem I have is heat but my physiatrist is researching a new and cooler Roho.

Good luck.
    Stimulites are more breathable (and thus cooler) than Rohos. I use both.

I've been using the Supracor Stimulite for about 5 years with no problems.