Thread: myelomalacia??

myelomalacia??

i have never been told why i'm paralyzed. i found my mri from 10 months ago with a report. it says "considerable myelomalacia". after becoming this way about a year later my numbness rose and my fingers became numb. i looked up myelomalacia and it says 'bleeding' and it can 'ascend' ... i'm quite spooked by this. i now don't know if my cord is unstable or not. it says most severe is show at t7. "impression: posterior disc osteophyte complex at t-10-11 associated with moderate effacement of the dural sac shallow effacement of the concus. severe myelomalacia of the thoracic cord particularly the distal portion below t7. "

what does this mean? here's my MRI http://imgur.com/HqyMTwb and http://i.imgur.com/5ewaHQG.jpg

does it mean it is one day going to get worse or more importantly mean stem cell therapy will not work?

edit: pls feel free to move to an appropriate forum.

myelomalacia below your SCI level is not uncommon. You cord would not be unstable...that term applies to the bones (vertebrae, bones, spine). Was your original cord injury due to ischemia or spinal stroke or trauma?

I will ask Dr. Young to address the rest of your question when he has time.

(KLD)

we believe it to have been a bulging disc with inflammation possibly caused by multiple sclerosis or transverse myelitis. I have attached two MRI pictures above. I can post more. I can tell you what it wasn't, it wasn't trauma, or sickness, or cancer. I did fall in rehab a month after the issues started my legs buckle beneath me and I hit the floor but my legs were not responding altogether before I hit the floor. originally the numbness stopped at my belt line, during rehab the numbness started creeping up words toward my chest. I would intermittently go in and out of extreme pain. Instead of taking me to get an MRI they just gave me painkillers. the changes starting to stabilize after a weeks worth of plasmapheresis

Has any one told you have MS or TM?

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    Has any one told you have MS or TM?
    yes I do have actively have multiple sclerosis. Since the parallelization and diagnosis back in 2009, I have permanent numbness in my hands and blindness in my right eye which is consistent with multiple sclerosis per radiologist and neurologist. transverse myelitis was diagnosed in 2009 but I don't know that it was ever official.I had four different neurologists working on me at that time and none of them agreed with each other. they ended up calling vanderbilt for consultation.

I have seen a number of cases of supposed TM which were later correctly diagnosed as MS, generally on the basis of plaques seen in the brain on MRI, which does not occur in TM.

(KLD)

Since you're close to Vanderbilt, you might want to investigate Dr. Charles Stratton's "Vanderbilt Protocol" for treating MS and TM using a combination of antibiotics. www.cpnhelp.com

Couple of things you need to understand from the beginning, however. First, it doesn't "cure" MS, although it has halted progression for some people. It doesn't actually repair damage already done, although some people have seen a remarkable improvement in quality of life.

I, in fact, your current problems ARE due to a bacterial infection...you might benefit from this.

Bump for an answer to
    does it mean it is one day going to get worse or more importantly mean stem cell therapy will not work?