Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catheter Clogging?

Question Catheter Clogging?

For the last 6 month my Foly catheter has been backing up more than ever. I changed it every month. Now every 3 weeks. Things seem better but what is causing this my urologist offers me nothing. I wonder if it the Bard Silver IC caths are they making them cheaper? I sent a few into Bard but no replies. Any suggestions to prevent this?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

How much water are you drinking per day?

I drink non stop.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Get a duette. No clogging.

Blog Entries
    I have been having this problem for about a year. I have a suprapubic catheter. Flushing it daily seems to help. Switching from silicone coated latex to 100% silicone may be helping. Some of the ever present bacteria produce the stuff that clogs you. Others might advise you better about using Hydro cleanse for that. My doctor gave me something called hipRex that is supposed to make the bladder environment inhospitable to bacteria. I also have renaciden on my list of things to look into. I?d love some nurses? input on both things. It turned out that I had a massive bladder stone. I would get a cystogram. My doctor worried about the duette being so small, because I use 24 French and the change would cause all kinds of stoma problems.
    Last edited by Random; 11-17-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    My doctor worried about the duette being so small, because I use 24 French and the change would cause all kinds of stoma problems.
    I have been using a 22fr SP catheter since 1997 and recently began leaking like a sieve. I finally tried the Duette and I've been dry as a bone for nearly 3 weeks.
    (I hope I haven't just jinxed myself)

I switched from a 24fr to a 18fr Duette a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things that I did for my bladder. One of the biggest advantages of the Duette is that they are really flexible and extremely comfortable. However, it makes it a bugger to get in the stoma sometimes. I bought a 4fr catheter stylet to help getting it in the stoma. Works like a charm! My bladder has less inflammation and irritation than most able bodied 20 year-olds.

I had to use a duette in both my stoma and uretha after my kidney stones got blasted and still had no irritation.

Quote Originally Posted by Prerun View Post
    I switched from a 24fr to a 18fr Duette a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things that I did for my bladder. One of the biggest advantages of the Duette is that they are really flexible and extremely comfortable. However, it makes it a bugger to get in the stoma sometimes. I bought a 4fr catheter stylet to help getting it in the stoma. Works like a charm! My bladder has less inflammation and irritation than most able bodied 20 year-olds.

I had to use a duette in both my stoma and uretha after my kidney stones got blasted and still had no irritation.
    The Duette catheter can indeed be difficult to insert! Did you need a prescription for the stylet? Where did you buy the stylet? Could you give us a little more information about how the stylet is used?

Thanks.

All the best,
    GJ

I don't remember using a prescription for it. I purchased it online at Health Products For You. https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...atheter+Stylet

I boil it for 20 minutes prior to use. I open the catheter and slide the stylet inside after it cools a minute. Then, I insert the whole works into the stoma (with a bit of sterile lubricant) and pull the stylet out. I inflate the balloons and I follow up with an instillation of Hydrocleanse to make certain that no uninvited guests came along for the ride. Voila!

Tip: I try to take my Ditropan and a couple of acetaminophen at least an hour before I change my catheter as it seems to ease the insertion process.
    Last edited by Prerun; 11-17-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something!

I will give one a try. Thanx