Thread: Resume Writing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Resume Writing

Hi all, just wondering if anyone ever used a resume writing service. I need to update my Resume and it has been a awhile since I have updated it and need help.

Any suggestions would be helpful

TIA
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

You probably could save a lot of money and get just as good of a product by getting a couple of books on resume writing and following those directions.

(KLD)

You are right, I looked up some and they want $200 and up and with my budget that is not feasible.

There's lots of tips, and templates for writing them online, for free.

Yep....and you might find a cheap used one on amazon. Shipping is usually about $4.00 for sometimes .85 cent item.
    Library loan too.
    Good luck!

My last resume pre-SCI was with a bit of help from a book specifically for women. I was military and then was a military spouse so had short gaps to fill and that book had lots of great ideas. I spent my money on professional printing. These days if you have a good home printer just hit a stationary store or better office supply place and look for a heavier weight bond paper. You don't need to buy a ream or even a 500 wrap normally you can buy in 20 or 25 and then 50 page envelopes. Always use white or ivory colored paper unless you are well established in an arts profession and use a fresh black or very dark brown ink if you want to spring for a designer color cartridge. I'd stay away from gray scale on color printers. The job I was leaving I did interviewing and hiring and I didn't care if Bill Gates wanted to be my next secretary if his resume was on pastel paper or printed in purple I never bothered to read it. I needed people who could independently write a business letter and preferred a slow typist to someone whose salutations started "Dear Tom" instead of "Dear Mr Smith".
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks everyone for your input, I will get some books on writing a good Resume.

I've been hunting for a few months now - I came off a 4 1/2 year contract at the end of May. I'm a software tester - primarily - so my search is specific to the tech arena -

I found this offshoot of the "Wahat color is your parachute..." franchise to be useful -

"What Color is Your Parachute? Guide to Job Hunting Online." by Mark Emery Bolles / Richard Bolles

Also, where are you located?
    It looks like most counties in NJ have resources associated with Labor Dept that can assist in resume writing.

Good luck - I don't know anyone who enjoys writing or updating resumes.
    If I had the right magic skills keywords I'm sure I would be working again already!

BTW - I have am Amazon account so I was able to get the Kindle edition for about $8.