Thread: Stair Lifts cost to much

Stair Lifts cost to much

I have a stair with a landing turning 180 deg. Two straight lifts with a transfer on the landing $6,000. On lift $12,000. Seems like a racket. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I have a stair with a landing turning 180 deg. Two straight lifts with a transfer on the landing $6,000. On lift $12,000. Seems like a racket. Any ideas?
    See if your state has A Medicaid waver program that will pay for it. That was how I got my satir lift. It was called a TBI waver I qualify because on top of my spinal cord injury I also had a traumatic brain injury

I needed two stairlifts. I got both off craigslist.com. The Acorn was 300 and the Bruno was 500 dollars. Instalation is straightforward on straight runs. The only real problem to solve is getting enough track length or having to cut it to size.
    Simply go to Caigslist and type stairlift in the search window. That method will cover all categories. Be patient and if you are in or look in a populous area what you need will show up at a ridiculously low price sooner or later. Just be sure to hold out for the newer gear driven battery operated types.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The ones that take a turn cost a lot more than just the ones that go straight. I've had one that just goes straight and moved it from last house to this house in 1998, I think I bought it 1991 and have used it a lot. Not a peep of trouble out of it all these years, amazing. It does not have a battery backup or anything so if the power quits I'll be walking on my hands back up the steps to my wheelchair. Installation gets a little more involved on the ones that have to take a turn at a landing too. Check with your ins co to see if you can get it covered as was said.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thanks gent. The dealers scow at the second hand thing saying there are problems placing them on a stair and not custom building them for the stair. Two used straight lift with a transfer on the landing sound like a cost I could live with.

Of course dealers are going to put down used equipment; they want to make the $$ off a new purchase and scare you into that, but I have seen a number of people successfully install used equipment like this and save a lot of money. Have seen systems for sale on both Craig's List and eBay. You would just need to find someone to do the installation for you (other than a dealer).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Of course dealers are going to put down used equipment; they want to make the $$ off a new purchase and scare you into that, but I have seen a number of people successfully install used equipment like this and save a lot of money. Have seen systems for sale on both Craig's List and eBay. You would just need to find someone to do the installation for you (other than a dealer).

(KLD)
    She said exactly what I was going to say.