Thread: Has anyone had intestinal pain?

Banned

Angry Has anyone had intestinal pain?

Ive had a SCI for 27 yrs and 10yr ago I started having pain from eating. Not pain in my stomach, its in my colon. It gets so bad it hurts through to my back. For real with the SCI it just hurts everywhere in my gut to my back. I cant say if its my gut or back but if I dont eat at all for a day or two it doesnt hurt. So id think it was my gut.
    I had lost from 140lb to 87lbs in Oct 2012. The Dr talked me into a colostomy after 8yrs of dragging my feet saying no way I will die first. I went in to have surgery and they kept me 3 mo because I was so mal-nutritioned. I was able to eat cause I was on pain meds and gained 27 lb. A yr and 4 mo later and Ive lost back to 100lb again.
    does anyone have any advice or have had a problem like this??? Ive taken neurontin and it didnt help. I had a 50mg fentanayl patch which doesnt work Ive taken 5 mg percocet and it doesnt help 4mg dilaudid and it done nothing. I only took them once or twice Someone said try taking regularly and it may help but I havent tried doing that. IM HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH ANY INFORMATION. I CANT STAND THIS PAIN, SOMEDAYS ARE WORSE THAN OTHERS BUT I HAVE NO LIFE!!

What kind of tests have you had done to try and find a cause for the pain? I had lower left pain that turned out to be IBS. I had a few GYN tests, colonoscopy, CT and a laproscopic laporatomy. Now I know how to deal with flare ups.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Banned
    Ive had Colonoscopy C-Scan Ultra Sound of my abdomen They have gave many meds for colitis,IBS.None have helped. It doesnt FLare up It ALWAYS hurts. If I take Lactose and have diarrhea always its not as bad. Thats why I lose so much weight. Also I dont eat much. IF I eat like a normal person and there is stool in my intestines it hurts!

The first thing I was put on by my GI doc was 5 mg of oxycodone every 6 hours during the tests. I assume since you mention colitis you have diarrhea dominant IBS? Once I was diagnosed a scoop of cholestramine in water slugged back quickly helped a lot. You need to watch dental care on that stuff though. It is an anti-cholesterol med that was found to work well on diarrhea type IBS. But I needed a break from it after about 10 years and now I manage on Align and immodium, one each, every day. If the pain flares up I can take the oxy if needed. You really need to find out why you have colitis as that normally is a sign of something else in my reading. I know a few who need prednisone to knock that back when it flares up. Since prednisone has some very nasty side effects long term if your current GI doesn't have an idea maybe ask your PCP for ideas. I know rheumatologists and kidney doctors know a bit about although kidney docs experience is normally from those who have had transplants.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Does it hurt or burn? I have ulcers in stomach that, last I knew, could never be removed. Been taking Protonix since it was invented. Before that it was Prilosec. Both reduced acid creation and thing feels normal. If I stop taking, will hurt really crazy in 1-2 days.

My pain was all lower left side and more deep and radiating not burning. Several of the tests I went through related to ulcers because both my Mom and her Mom had bleeding ulcers that resulted in both needing half of their stomachs removed. Maybe time for you to see an internal medicine doctor that specializes in GI issues instead of a GI doc. My final test was a laproscopic exploratory laporatomy. This gives a view of the outside of some of the organs such as the small intestine. Blood counts and some endoscopic tests can help detect ulcers. But remember that with SCI even incompletes with most sensory intact can still have referred pain. Always mention that possibility to doctors.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 05-29-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Changed the side that pain hits.

This is my main source of pain. I could play a little guitar so after becoming a quad that went instrument went to a niece. So I picked up harmonica. After about 15 minutes of playing some Sonny Boy Williamson or Little Walter I feel I'm going to die. Intestines to testicals feel as they are going to explode. Donnie