Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a living?

I run a portfolio accounting firm (part of the investment mgmt world) I like my job and my disability really has never been an issue although I have seen others get hit with responses that seem discriminatory.

I am a Medical Social Worker, currently working for a dialysis clinic as the Nephrology Social Worker. I recently went back to school to finish up my BA and MSW (master's of social work) when I was laid off 3 times in the mortgage field begining in 2007. When I was laid off I went on SSDI and went back to school. Now I am working to get my license and hopefully can work at a local hospital with a large rehab facility such as Santa Clara Valley Med Center, Kaiser Vallejo, Children's Hospital, or Stanford. I wnat to be a Rehab social worker and assist others in overcoming their illness/disabilities. I find my career to be very rewarding.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by outkastsl View Post
    When I was laid off I went on SSDI and went back to school. Now I am working to get my license and hopefully can work at a local hospital with a large rehab facility such as Santa Clara Valley Med Center, Kaiser Vallejo, Children's Hospital, or Stanford. I wnat to be a Rehab social worker and assist others in overcoming their illness/disabilities. I find my career to be very rewarding.
    Don't rule out the VA. Federal employment has some major advantages. There is a SCI Center at the Palo Alto VAMC, and they also have a large TBI Center, as well as a general rehab unit (stroke, amputation, etc.).

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I am retired now, but I did work as an investment adviser managing investments for individuals.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Don't rule out the VA. Federal employment has some major advantages. There is a SCI Center at the Palo Alto VAMC, and they also have a large TBI Center, as well as a general rehab unit (stroke, amputation, etc.).

(KLD)
    I forgot to mention the VA. I did my second year field practicum for my MSW at Palo Alto VA SCI/D unit. I would love to go work there again and I do keep in touch with my supervisors/managers there. Unfortunately the SW department that oversees the SCI/D unit is hard to work for. I shadowed in the Poly-Trauma unit and that was a great experience. Poly-Trauma serves Vets with multiple trauma's such as TBI, SCI, and Amputations. I would really like a job in that unit.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

That's funny, I was just about to post this question. I haven't worked since my injury 14 years ago and I am now going through vocational rehab to put me in line for a job. I was a mechanic before I got hurt so I'm looking for a job in engineering or CAD.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I'm 21 post injury and 2 years after my injury I went back to school for drafting / CAD operator. I'm on my 3rd different company since finishing school and have been there 14 years now. I'm a design drafter for a large pump manufacture, and we use Solid Edge 3D modeling software. I work on our fire pump product line which supplies fire pumps to hotels, hospitals, airports, etc. We haven't seen a slow in business during the downturn mainly because we ship a lot overseas. I like my job but as with any job it has it's good times and bad times. My injury and chair have never been an issue where I work. I have to go out on the shop floor from time to time thus the reason I run solid tires because there are metal shavings everywhere!
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

One of my uncles works with Solidworks and give me a copy. I've invented a few things using it but haven't gone to school for it. Most of what I know I figure out on my own. There's tutorials all over the place for it. I did an assessment test to see if I could get voc rehab to pay for my schooling I think 10 years ago and I qualified to go to school for mechanical engineering. Of course as soon as I'm getting ready to go to school I got a pressure sore. So then I started getting seizures and have some memory problems. Now they're giving me this heavy-duty therapy to build up my memory, get my endurance up, get me stronger and hopefully I can intern at an engineering facility or something like that and eventually have them offer me a good job. I'm very restricted through the state on how much I can make and still keep my state insurance which covers my caregiver costs. The total is $2000 and I'm getting roughly $1650 a month from Social Security disability although the facility I live at only leaves me a $100 a month allowance. It kind of sucks but I don't think it would be very healthy for me to live alone on bed rest with seizures. Once I go 6 months without one I think I'm going to start looking for some kind of assisted living apartments where I could live alone again or maybe just with a roommate. I like living alone. It gives me the freedom to do what I need or want in my own place plus it just makes me feel better to know that I'm doing it. I guess I just can't explain it but I'm sure some people here understand what I'm talking about.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I work as a parts sales rep for a large ag and municipal equipment manufactuer. I'm the main parts contact for our 150+ dealers across the US and Canada. Basically on the phone all day helping find parts, placing parts orders and checking on shipments. Wish the pay would be a little better, only bringing home about $3-400 more than sitting at home collecting a check. But I'm putting money into a 401k, have so-so insurance, and creating contacts and getting work experience I suppose. Plus I'm not rotting away on the couch drinking beer all day..lol Hoping to move up in the company soon also, if not, I will be looking for other opportunities.

Will be buying cows here shortly too, so guess you could add farmer back into my resume.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

I worked as a chef before injury, i still do it at home but cannot work outside the home as its too strenuous and hard. I loved it now i take care of my grandmother who has alzheimers.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009