Thread: Sterile water?

Sterile water?

This may be a stupid question but are you supposed to use sterile water on the hydrophilic catheters? If so, how do you carry sterile water around when you're out?

There are some catheters that come with a sterilized pack of water enclosed. I just use tap water. It works for me.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thanks. I always have bottled water with me but not sterile water. I just didn't know if that would increase the risk of infection.

I would recommend sticking to sterile or at least bottled water. Many studies have shown that even treated tap water often has a lot of bacteria in it. People who are immune suppressed are often advised not to drink tap water for this reason.

I would also recommend that you consider one of the hydrophilic (lubricious) catheters that does not require wetting (such as the new Hollister product) or one that comes with a water packet in the kit.

(KLD)

Even if you would buy a bottle of sterile water, only the first use of the water directly after opening it would be sterile. After the bottle is open it is no longer considered sterile...clean perhaps...but not sterile.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would also recommend that you consider one of the hydrophilic (lubricious) catheters that does not require wetting (such as the new Hollister product) or one that comes with a water packet in the kit.

(KLD)
    Do you mean the Vapro catheter? That looks pretty good but I guess it's not available in the US. I didn't see any hydrophilic catheters on the Hollister US website.

Yes, the VaPro™ touch free hydrophilic intermittent catheter. To request a sample: https://www.hollisterpeoplefirst.com/products
    Have been FDA approved just waiting for insurance payment contracting. There are others though that come with water, such as the LoFric Primo or the Coloplast SpeediCath, or the Rochester Magic3.

(KLD)

I know nothing about catheters. I do know about my tap water. That comes from a well. I have no idea how the hell it ever passed any kind of test. The crap is so dirty, it is ridiculous. I say this as a caution. If I were you, I would use the correct stuff.

Thanks KLD. I've tried the LoFric and SpeediCath but they are both so stiff I can't get them in. I'll see if I can get some samples of the VaPro and Magic 3. That antibacterial Magic 3 looks like a good idea. I hope to find something easy to use that's all self contained. I am not too comfortable with using whatever water is handy and I don't want to worry about having sterile water with me all the time too.