Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to come to terms five years later

trying to come to terms five years later

I've just recently developed an issue with my sciatica nerve. It hurts it really hurts, I'll go to the doctor soon and maybe get some relief. I've been following stem cell research since the first day I was paralyzed with hope. But I'm realizing that my spinal cord is in less than optimal condition to receive stem cell and maybe one day again use my Limbs. as time goes on reality has set in that this is not going to happen. Its been a long time, and the time has actually gone quite fast. I know there are others out there who have been in this situation, how did you help yourself get ahold of reality and move on?

Blog Entries
    The best thing you can do is to concentrate on the things you can do and not dwell on the things you have lost. If you have anger, let go of it. It will not change anything. It exacerbates the intensity of ant pain you may have, and may lead to depression - another way to ratchet up your pain. Stay involved in whatever you love and find new interests. Go to college, volunteer, play an instrument, ride a bike...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Have any hobbies or interests? Maybe something you used to do, that you might be able to do now?
    What injury level are you? Perhaps someone here with the same injury level could suggest/help with finding something to keep your mind/body busy.
    If I'm not doing something physical or mental (or napping) at all times I turn to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Have any hobbies or interests? Maybe something you used to do, that you might be able to do now?
    What injury level are you? Perhaps someone here with the same injury level could suggest/help with finding something to keep your mind/body busy.
    If I'm not doing something physical or mental (or napping) at all times I turn to the dark side.
    t6 I've been told there's damage at T4 now too. I'm also MS patient which means I run out of energy pretty quick which is bad because I'm so heavy. I just fell on my back about a month ago I'm almost afraid to see what the newest MRI's going to say. I don't want to think about that yet

thank you all who committed
    Last edited by PC720; 05-16-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Ever do any fishing and or hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by PC720 View Post
    t6 I've been told there's damage at T4 now too. I'm also MS patient which means I run out of energy pretty quick which is bad because I'm so heavy. I just fell on my back about a month ago I'm almost afraid to see what the newest MRI's going to say. I don't want to think about that yet

thank you all who committed
    hey dude, i am gonna ramble a little so bear with me. i am approaching my 5 year mark in 10 days. Broke my neck playing hockey.. didn't pass out, felt my neck pop and my body go limp. My girlfriend of 7 years left me after a year post-sci for someone else. Friends turned their backs on me. Lost a shit ton of weight because of atrophy. I'll tell you.. it's been one crazy fucking ride. From depression to thinking that everything is fine and dandy to being suicidal to.. well every word to describe an emotion, i've gone through it. I'll tell you something though, life is beautiful. From the leaves glistening from a breeze to a puppy biting the leash around its neck.. Life is different, it's slower but the blurs from the fast life have slowed down and become detailed beauty and i've developed my perception and the way i go about my life in general. You'll see people on CCC saying how they can't do this and can't do that but if you're spending all your time focusing on what you can't do, you rob yourself from realizing and focusing on things that you can do.

What is it that brings you joy? Start big like 'exercising' or 'art' or 'games'.. then get more detailed like 'rowing' or 'basketball' and then go online (best resource you got) and look for adaptive ways to go about it. I know, i know... it's just not the same because you're on a chair now but you have to accept this and it might take some time finding the right rhythm and learning how to use your new body but that's the fun part! it's like the old you died 5 years ago and a baby you was born.. you learn how to use your body in a new way, to use your brain in a new way.

If you are heavy, get a plan on how to shed some weight.. thru diet and exercise. it will not be easy but if it's what you really want, you will do it. Are you having trouble navigating your wheelchair? Doing wheelies? Find a rehab center or a sci vet to show you how to increase your wheelchair skills. I've come to realize that despite getting a terrible and catastrophic injury, you still have your life to live. This being said, don't tell yourself 'because i am in a wheelchair.. i can't do [insert whatever]' but rather list out what you want in your life and ask yourself.. 'what do i want to achieve' 'why do i want this (purpose)?' and lastly 'what actions must i take' AND CARPE DIEM!

Anyways.. i hope my splurge will help you and your beautiful life.

'If it is important to you, you will find a way. If it isn't, you will find an excuse.'
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

I forgot to add... the world has turned for billions of years before you were born and will for billions of year after you have died. It does not 'owe' you anything and whether you choose to go out there and do your fucking best or choose to whither away and curse the rest of the world, the world will gladly keep turning and watch you become nothing.

Jerkens, one of the best post i have ever read. Thank you for the reminder...

Haha legs not working, sir I can't jump, stop making excuses lmao. There's reality, then there's excuses, and there is a very fine line between.

PC he is right on trying to find things though so you got to try and find thous things you enjoy and make you happy. The options aren't as simple anymore, and the numbers aren't as vast so you have to look and try. And I really hope you are still able to find those things even though you are injured, since you have your hands I'm pretty sure you can figure something out, some people make due with their mouths only. Just be realistic with yourself, so you don't run into disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Haha legs not working, sir I can't jump, stop making excuses lmao. There's reality, then there's excuses, and there is a very fine line between.

PC he is right on trying to find things though so you got to try and find thous things you enjoy and make you happy. The options aren't as simple anymore, and the numbers aren't as vast so you have to look and try. And I really hope you are still able to find those things even though you are injured, since you have your hands I'm pretty sure you can figure something out, some people make due with their mouths only. Just be realistic with yourself, so you don't run into disappointment.
    James! Good to hear from you! I remember replying to your suicide post a few months ago and i am very glad to see that you have changed your approach to this sci life. Give me a holler if you ever are in the Vancouver area! It is a fine line between reality and excuses but its your attitude that will help swing things your way majority of the time. It's when the going gets tough.. when you think it's as much as you can give, that's when you preservere and once it's gone through and you look back, it looks easy peasy. What's great is over time it gets easier and easier.. and you get happier and happier and this all brings more and more confidence!

T976, thank you for the comment. Just as James said.. be realistic. What a lot of people go thru after getting a SCI is a loss of them 'self'. They end up in the hospital.. end up at rehab and along the way, they have a nurse helping do this and do that and they just forget that old hungry self that wants to go out there and own it... they lose focus on what the want and just struggle with the everyday things like self care and getting out of the house. They get so overwhelmed by it that they don't see beyond it and see ways to help themselves but rather sulk in it and start blaming the world for their problems.. I've seen this with so many fellow crips, and whats funny is that they will defend it when i question their attitude as if they actually want to be 'stuck' in their situation! Anyways.. I don't want to offend no body on CCC. This forum has brought me so much insight and knowledge.