Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bladder surgery

bladder surgery

Just had the surgery where they take part of my small intestine & sewed it to my bladder to make it bigger & more flacid so it no longer smasms & I piss my pants numerous times during a day. Forgot the technical term LOL I always do. ANyways I now have been home for 5 days & 3 out of the 5 days I have SHIT my pants !!!!! I havent shit my pants since I can remeber its been so long. I know there is others that have had this surgey cause I was checking out the thread (cant find it ). Has anybody else had this issue right after & tell me that it gets better, that I just gotta get my SHIT back together
    thanks

How long were you inpatient after surgery? I think the word you are looking for is "augmentation" in your case using the small intestine which reduces the chances of colon cancer in the bladder in the future. The large bowel is where liquids are normally removed from the stool while the small intestine is where nutrients are absorbed. I would give your doctor or surgeon a call and ask about this. Tell him/her the time between eating and accidents too.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

"SHIT my pants !!!!!" For weeks afterwards, switch off a little and get used to it for the short term, it's only temporary. 5 years post op. All is ok, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by allenstevens View Post
    Just had the surgery where they take part of my small intestine & sewed it to my bladder to make it bigger & more flacid so it no longer smasms & I piss my pants numerous times during a day. Forgot the technical term LOL I always do. ANyways I now have been home for 5 days & 3 out of the 5 days I have SHIT my pants !!!!! I havent shit my pants since I can remeber its been so long. I know there is others that have had this surgey cause I was checking out the thread (cant find it ). Has anybody else had this issue right after & tell me that it gets better, that I just gotta get my SHIT back together
    thanks
    This question is possibly for the benefit of future readers of this thread, but did you try Botox injections to your bladder before going through with the augmentation cystoplasty?

I did botox 4 times before and & the first 2 were GREat the last two not so good. Actually the last time I think it made it worse than ever, whole reason for the surgery. I was in the hospital for a week after the surgery. Brython you say all is "ok" or is all GOOD? Hoping everything is ALOT better than it was or is now!!!

I did botox 4 times before and & the first 2 were GREat the last two not so good. Actually the last time I think it made it worse than ever, whole reason for the surgery. I was in the hospital for a week after the surgery. Brython you say all is "ok" or is all GOOD? Hoping everything is ALOT better than it was or is now!!!
    Hopefully there's research being done as to why the Botox injections don't work consistently with some patients. Best of luck to you as you recover from your augmentation surgery -- it's a big surgery.

HAd botox 4 times in the past, first 3 were great. LAst one was worse than if I ever even had botox, never thought I could even piss so much, whole reason for this surgery. Augmentation cystoplasty is what I had done. Brython all is "ok" or all is GREAT. Hoping this only last a little bit cause I defintely would trade piss for shit anyday, neither is what I am looking for though. Figuring it will get better , prolly cause they went in there & fucked around with my intestines & they need redo themselves. Thanks for the replies

You might ask your doctor to check you for c. dif it continues and look at modifying your bowel program- do you have one? But it shouldn't continue. Most likely related to antibiotics or something like that but call you doctor.
    If on stool softeners or laxatives cut down on those!
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Hopefully there's research being done as to why the Botox injections don't work consistently with some patients. Best of luck to you as you recover from your augmentation surgery -- it's a big surgery.
    It's been known for a few decades that people develop resistance to the two botulitum toxins that are safe to use. Most start with the first toxin developed for medical use and when it fails they switch to the second. I bellieve urologists only use the original "Botox" marketed for medical use. There are a total of 5 toxins in the group but the other 3 will kill most people even in miniscule amounts.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I don't want to tempt fate for myself! I cath 5-6 times per 24hrs with the self lubing ones. I can cath inn the car if I absolutely have to. I can go to a corner of a garden e.g and do a cath quietly there (if desperate). I can hold 500mls easily but have on occasions held more than 900mls (I give myself a lecture and slapped wrist when this happens!) No more sweats, I have less UTI's than what I used to.
    Alcohol seems to upset the bugs if I overdo it, so I drink less alcohol than I did pre op, which is not a bad thing for me! (Alcohol also makes more mucous for me, so sometimes I might have to cath twice to clear the mucous)
    No more red angry penis skin, no more condom/conveens and leg bags blowing off and soggy trousers. I would say more than "Good". You just have to be carefull with volumes you drink. I haven't leaked at all since the op though, I think that must be because I had a tired sphincter/prostrate etc.

I didn't want the Augmentation ( who wants a thing like this done to their body?!), but it was a last resort for me. And it has changed my life for the better. I wish you a speedy recovery!