Thread: cabo, mexico

cabo, mexico

hey guys,
    so i am planing on going to cabo next month. but dont know how accessible it is. i have read the airports are a nightmare, and arent very accessible. read there are no jetways, and people are usually carried down from the plane. now i am a big guy(6'2 260). there is no way i would allow people to carry me down. also read that if you do find a ramp they are ridiculously steep, and saw a picture of a ramp you could ski jump off of.
    has anyone been there? how bad is it? should i even bother?
    vaibhav

Mexico is not wheelchair friendly. You will need help to get places. I hired locals, but you need to speak some Spanish or hire an interpreter too.

Tons of people in the tourist trade in Cabo speak English. I have been there many times, and although I have some rudimentary Spanish, I have rarely needed to use it.

That being said, if you are going to Cabo, yes, you will have to be carried down the plane steps, which they usually do with you strapped into the aisle chair (more like bump you down the steps) and going back into the plane is even more difficult. Sometimes they use a forklift or food service truck to get you into the plane. You would of course also have to be lifted into and out of your seat on the plane.

The tourist areas of Cabo are fairly accessible and flat, but you will have to hunt for ramps, and many shops and restaurants have 1-2 steps to get in, so best to use a manual wheelchair with assistance rather than try to use a power chair.

Some of the newer resort hotels have accessible accommodations. Where are you staying?

Can you transfer to a car?? I know of no wheelchair accessible cabs or shuttle services in Cabo. There is one in Puerto Vallarta which is hoping to expand to Cabo, but they have not been able to get financing for this.

(KLD)

thanks for your reply guys.
    reading this i am probably not going to go. i was going to stay at ME in cabo. also i tend not to use my manual chair because my neck starts killing me after an hour on it. also i very rarely transfer onto a car seat.
    that being said, i did find wheechair accessible transport in cabo.
    https://www.cabomobility.com/mobilit...ity-tours.html

I don't know what ME is. Good to know about the new cab service. Will be interesting to find out how their service is.

Have you considered taking a cruise instead of flying someplace for vacation?? You could get a cruise out of Florida and see the Caribbean and even the east coast of Mexico, and not have to deal with flying or with finding accessible hotel rooms. A caution though, accessible cabins tend to book up very quickly so you need to look ahead at least 6-12 months usually.

(KLD)

Ditto we cruise ALL the time.Take day trips at all the ports, have been to countless islands,and the ships are 110% wheelchair freindly.

So if you're in a power chair then you can't go to cabo? that doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz99 View Post
    So if you're in a power chair then you can't go to cabo? that doesn't sound right.
    No one said that, but it will be more difficult than if using a manual chair.

(KLD)

This is why I'm looking for a power folding chair..good luck..Cabo is beautiful ..
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7