Thread: Natural Fit Surge handrims + Spinergy Spox rims

Question Natural Fit Surge handrims + Spinergy Spox rims

Can anyone tell me with certainty if it is necessary to deflate/remove tires from a Spinergy Spox wheel in order to install Natural Fit surge tab-mount handrims?

As far as I am able tire/tube/liner need to be removed. It might be possible to get the nuts off the bolts, but the bolts will be in the way of pulling the handrims off. So they have to be pushed back to gain clearance.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nayr View Post
    Can anyone tell me with certainty if it is necessary to deflate/remove tires from a Spinergy Spox wheel in order to install Natural Fit surge tab-mount handrims?
    Yup, those wheels gotta get nekid to put the new rims on.

Have a spare tube handy in case you make a mistake.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Ah that's unfortunate. I was thinking I could just go sit on the couch and do the whole thing from there. I just got some ADI disc brakes that required me to get new rims (spinergy spox rims). My last surge handrims were rivnut mounted and the spox have tab mounted handrims. I ordered some new surge handrims and just received them today... only to find out that I cannot mount them myself. The good side of it is that having the standard metal handrims really makes me appreciate my Surge handrims. I can't wait to get them back on my chair! Looks like I'll be heading to the bike shop in my spare chair tomorrow.

Well I got a 3 pack of plastic tire levers, 2 new tubes (just in case), and some rim tape. I broke all 3 plastic tire levers trying to remove the first tire. I went back to the bike shop, bought a 2 pack of metal tire levers, and that worked fine to get the first tire off. I took the stock handrim off, but then when I went to install the Surge handrim, it kind of was a hair too big for the rim. I ended up getting all the tabs lined up and the bolts through the holes, but it didn't go easy. Is this common? I ordered the correct handrims for my rims, but it really seems like it should just slide in and bolt on. Any others experience this?

After fighting with my tires for a few hours, I finally remembered a zip-tie method I saw the wheelchair clinic guy do at rehab. I managed to find some zip ties and was able to get the tires back on the rims. I came very very close to giving up on them before I remembered that trick. I then went to inflate my tires. Did a partial inflate of one, pushed and pulled all around and it was all good, so I inflated it the rest of the way. Went to do the other one... partial inflate --- then deflate. I put a hole in the tube when getting the tire back on the rim. A 50% success rate isn't too terrible seeing that this is my first time doing it. I'll tackle the other wheel tomorrow (using my spare chair until then).

It's okay to bend the tabs a little.
    Thanks for the zip tie idea. I've been using velcro straps, but the zips might be better.
    Get some snot on the tires when when you install. They make a special soap for it but something is better than nothing.
    I posted a pic of how to check for a pinched tube, I'll look for it or repost.

pinch check

The tire should slide back and for easily on the tape except at the valve. If there is a pinched tube, you should be able to see and correct it. In this case the rim tape is the bright blue showing between the thumbs.
    Name:  nopinchsm.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  121.4 KB