Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinal infarctions.

Spinal infarctions.

There seems to be little data on this subject.Does anyone have any information on recovery or improvement or lack of them after one of these injuries.Thanks.

What was your cause of infarction? This can be a significant factor. Is your injury complete (AIS A) or incomplete?

(KLD)

Incomplete Asia C .Doctors don't seem to know what caused it.I am recovering and improving but it is painfully slow!

Some possible causes of spinal cord infarction:

AV malformation
    Spinal stroke
    Due to surgery on the spine or cord
    Due to surgery on the aorta or disruption of aorta blood flow to the cord
    Due to trauma to the artery(s) that supply blood to the cord
    Vascular conditions such as arteriritis

No way to say how much return you will get or for how long. Only time will tell.

(KLD)

I had a spinal stroke due to blood flow that was cut off from aortic aneurysm surgery. 4 years later after been told i was initially told i was asia a i am now a asia c sensory complete motor incomplete para. I have also made very little progress the last year or so but i think it is mainly from laziness as i have not done too much rehab lately.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1712 View Post
    Incomplete Asia C .Doctors don't seem to know what caused it.I am recovering and improving but it is painfully slow!
    Just since January is slow? OK, you live in the UK, right? Any MRI? What level was the infarct? I had one around C5-6/7 back in 1992. The first two years were painfully slow and then things kept kicking in. I never made it to walking but managed standing transfers and a lot more than rehab first thought. What can you do now based on your level?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Some possible causes of spinal cord infarction:

AV malformation
    Spinal stroke
    Due to surgery on the spine or cord
    Due to surgery on the aorta or disruption of aorta blood flow to the cord
    Due to trauma to the artery(s) that supply blood to the cord
    Vascular conditions such as arteriritis

No way to say how much return you will get or for how long. Only time will tell.

(KLD)
    Epidurals are also on the rare list of causes. I've met two lower lumbar women from epidurals during labor. Cocaine and heroin can also cause a spinal stroke by rupturing an artery from high blood pressure and heroin can cause ischemia to the cord. I'm not implying our OP is a druggy anymore than the doctors who had to ask me those questions did.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Level is C6/7.I can transfer,move my legs pretty well,hands are ok,arms ok.Have stood in parallel bars and standing frame.Currently waiting for a standing frame to be delivered to my home.Go to the gym twice a week and the trainer there says I am improving all the time.Weak glutes and stiff core are my main issues.Get them sorted and I think I'd be 25% better!

There is a condition called "banding" in the TM community. It is said to feel like a cold and stiff 3" to a foot wide some where between the hips and lower chest that normally surrounds the body. I started feeling it maybe 5 or 6 months post and it lasted a few years. After or maybe while it was fading I started getting some abdominals back. Unfortunately those abdominals required constant exercise to maintain and one bad illness wiped them out. Keep working as it sounds like you are are still getting natural recovery. Moist heat can help any core stiffness before PT on the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    There is a condition called "banding" in the TM community. It is said to feel like a cold and stiff 3" to a foot wide some where between the hips and lower chest that normally surrounds the body. I started feeling it maybe 5 or 6 months post and it lasted a few years. After or maybe while it was fading I started getting some abdominals back. Unfortunately those abdominals required constant exercise to maintain and one bad illness wiped them out. Keep working as it sounds like you are are still getting natural recovery. Moist heat can help any core stiffness before PT on the area.
    Thanks Sue,I'll definitely keep working at it!I've been recommended for more physiotherapy too which is great as they don't tend to do that in the UK unless they think there is at least some potential.I've also been told,not sure if it's true or not,that improvement can continue after the two year benchmark.Good luck to everyone and keep on fighting!