Thread: Wheelchair friendly tents

Wheelchair friendly tents

Do they exist?

Was looking at something along these lines, but not sure how a powerchair would get through the doorway, and/or if the tires would damage the tent floor? I was thinking a plastic floormat could be used by the air mattress so that a lift could roll smoothly. Thoughts?

http://www.coleman.com/product/weath...s#.U2-7EsZpul4

I actually used an SUV tent. I slept in the back of my vehicle to avoid the floor to chair transfer.
    Not sure about the door way in a power chair.

For me, the tent pegs kept the sides of the tent down enough that I could just pop a wheelie over it. The floor of the tent is a heavy plastic, but might get bungled up in the wheels depending on the chair.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have over 45 years of experience using all types of tents. If you are using a powerchair, it would be good idea to avoid tents with the floor sewn in. Any turn at all in the chair may pull at the tent and potentially pull out the stakes or tug at the poles holding the tent erect. Usually a tent with a floor has some tent material between the zipper and the floor and driving over the zipper or the seam that attaches the floor may damage both.

Personally, I would select a wall tent. A 6 foot person can stand up inside and if your using some type of ground sheet, you can always straighten it up when it wrinkles or pulls. You may not require a ground sheet or cover, done it often but before I was hurt. A good hard dirt or grass floor would be fine and the ground sheet could just be under the air mattress or whatever you decide to sleep on. A cot may also work and may be easier to pick you up from. Concerned about how high the lift would need to rise inside the tent though.

They also make air mattresses that are 3 feet tall off the ground when inflated. A wood stove can also be used in some wall tent's.

Another and much less expensive option is a canopy with walls like you see at flee markets. They are also much higher inside for the lift. Ebay has one called - EZ UP Canopy 10 x 10 Commercial tent with 4 walls for $270. Must be about 10' high inside. I could live like a king in that one. The canopy could be also used for picnic's, party's, weddings or put over a picnic table when raining. Hang a couple of bug strips from the ceiling inside when camping and your set.

I actually lived in a 10' x 20' canopy or folding carport that I bought for about 200 bucks. Put it up along the Tionesta Creek near my buddy's camp and stayed there from April to November for 2 years. Was preparing to take it down and move to Utah for the winter when a bear ran in front of my truck and was hurt in the crash.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by forestranger52; 05-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I have over 45 years of experience using all types of tents. If you are using a powerchair, it would be good idea to avoid tents with the floor sewn in. Any turn at all in the chair may pull at the tent and potentially pull out the stakes or tug at the poles holding the tent erect. Usually a tent with a floor has some tent material between the zipper and the floor and driving over the zipper or the seam that attaches the floor may damage both.

Personally, I would select a wall tent. A 6 foot person can stand up inside and if your using some type of ground sheet, you can always straighten it up when it wrinkles or pulls. You may not require a ground sheet or cover, done it often but before I was hurt. A good hard dirt or grass floor would be fine and the ground sheet could just be under the air mattress or whatever you decide to sleep on. A cot may also work and may be easier to pick you up from. Concerned about how high the lift would need to rise inside the tent though.

They also make air mattresses that are 3 feet tall off the ground when inflated. A wood stove can also be used in some wall tent's.

Another and much less expensive option is a canopy with walls like you see at flee markets. They are also much higher inside for the lift. Ebay has one called - EZ UP Canopy 10 x 10 Commercial tent with 4 walls for $270. Must be about 10' high inside. I could live like a king in that one. The canopy could be also used for picnic's, party's, weddings or put over a picnic table when raining. Hang a couple of bug strips from the ceiling inside when camping and your set.

I actually lived in a 10' x 20' canopy or folding carport that I bought for about 200 bucks. Put it up along the Tionesta Creek near my buddy's camp and stayed there from April to November for 2 years. Was preparing to take it down and move to Utah for the winter when a bear ran in front of my truck and was hurt in the crash.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Yep, what he said, Don't even attempt a tent with a floor in a powerchair. You may consider getting a big hunting blind like the Barronett Grounder 350 if it's just two of you camping. No floor, waterproof, screened windows, with quick and easy set up. I've spent many a day in one hunting and often wished I had a cot in there. http://www.barronettblinds.com/home.asp#page4
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    They also make air mattresses that are 3 feet tall off the ground when inflated.
    ...but they're a PITA to try and transfer off of without help. I had one, but eventually gave it away.

Instead of an air mattress I use a foldable cot with either a foam pad or air pad on it. It's much easier to transfer on and off of, and if you get the oversized ones like this one from Cabela's they are taller and wider and much more stable:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104280480

I got mine in the bargain cave for $50

Add a self inflating sleeping pad, and it's super comfortable:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...C=cat104484780
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The Cabela's cot would be very stable and I used self-inflating pads also. I used a THERM-A-REST pad for many years and never had a leak. One problem with these types of pads and air mattress in general is that sleeping bags, especially ones with nylon like outsides, like to slide off and leave me partially on the ground. Some experienced backpackers recommend using the rubber like shelf liners between the pads and the bag. Two or three, 12'' X 12'' pieces will work. It also works to keep a wheelchair cushion from slipping around. Cheaper than Dycem.

I have found that Campmor has some of the best prices for camping and outdoor gear.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

great information in this thread! I definitely plan on acquiring a cot and self inflating pad at some point. Thanks for those links!

Thank you all so much for the helpful responses!