Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highly Resistant UTI - HELP!

Question Highly Resistant UTI - HELP!

Ok.. so about 3 months ago when i was in Taiwan, i contracted a pretty nasty UTI and got prescribed Refexin (Cephalex) 500mg twice a day for 7 days.
    It got better but after a few days of finishing the prescription I fell ill again. This time the doctor prescribed the same antibiotic for 14 days.

Well.. being in Asia and the doctor was not spinal cord injury trained (even though i told him i wanted urine culture) he finally agreed to get a culture and it turns out i had

Staphylcoccus aureous or saccharlyticus and i should take cipro 500mg twice a day for 7 days. Felt better and it went away.

NOW. I am not sure if that is related to this or not but i figured i should give the background because:

About a month ago (back in Canada), i got a UTI. Classic symptoms of burning and urgency and low volume. Got culture and analysis results (e. coli - sensitive to macrobid) and got prescriped Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. Finished it but got symtpoms back a day or two after. Took another urine sample, got the culture and analysis (e. coli - sensitive to macrobid) and then got prescribed Macrobid again 100mg twice a day for 10 days. Finished it and a few days after the symptoms returned.

Got a urine sample, got the culture and analysis back (e. coli - sensitive to macrobid and two other antibiotics that need to be taken by IV) today. My doctor says that the results say it is a 'highly resistant strain of bacteria' but we should just follow through the 10 days of macrobid 100mg twice a day and see then. Now... this is where i start to panic. Highly resistant bacteria and I am now taking my third prescription of macrobid for E. Coli. Already been on it for 17 days in total!!!! with a week in between the first week and the 10 days)

Am i at risk for a super bug here? I already take 1.8g of vitamin c 3 times a day and drink lots of fluids. Any tips or comments? I am scared I am brewing an evil super bug or something pretty bad than a simple UTI.

I was my hands and am very concious about being clean while doing intermittent caths.
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Can you correct this part of your message?

Well.. being in Asia and the doctor was not spinal cord injury trained (even though i told him i wanted urine culture) he finally agreed to get a culture and it turns out i had

$s

Also, have you had a thorough urinary tract checkout recently to find out if you have some underlying problem causing your UTIs?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Get an appointment with an infectious disease doctor. You may have to go to the IV med to finally get rid of these recurring infections.

For future reference, urinary tract infections should be treated with 10-14 days of the effective antibiotic. Seven days isn't long enough for complex infections in neurogenic bladders.

D-Mannose is a supplement that is effective in preventing e-coli caused urinary tract infections. It works by preventing e-coli bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract and causing infection.

You may also consider using Microcyn, Puracyn, Vetericyn. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...to-Dr-Young%29

Have you been checked for bladder stones?

I'd check with an infectious disease doctor also and get a blood test to look at your white count too. Then get a thorough work up with your urologist. It could be kidney or bladder stones. And yes, when traveling if you get a UTI ask for 12 to 14 days of the prescribed antibiotic if oral as all UTIs in people who use catheters are considered "complicated" and need the extra days.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Can you correct this part of your message?

Well.. being in Asia and the doctor was not spinal cord injury trained (even though i told him i wanted urine culture) he finally agreed to get a culture and it turns out i had Staphylococcus saccharolyticus which was sensitive to cipro and got rid of the infection

Also, have you had a thorough urinary tract checkout recently to find out if you have some underlying problem causing your UTIs?

I will ill call my urologist on Monday and explain my situation and ask to be checked for stones. Thanks for the quick replies and I will keep you updated.

i do have d mannose but it comes in bulk and I take 2 rounded tea spoons. Once in the morning and once at night but I'm not sure exactly the amount to take to prevent or to battle a uti. Any suggestions? I have a gram scale so I can weigh it out. This is so frustrating!!!!

Definitely call your urologist. And make sure that you are drinking plenty do non-caffeinated beverages. If you cath, make sure your volumes are low, which may mean increasing the number of times you cath a day. And all UTI's in people with SCI should be treated 10-14 days, for future reference.Let us know how you are doing.CKF

Seeing my urologist on the 21st for a consult and possibly a quick cysto. I will just finish this course of macrobid. Finger crossed!! I'll keep you updated.
    I really hope it's a stone or something fixable..

Another question. If you have a UTI (e.coli), are you at risk of spreading this infection with unprotected sex?

Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    Another question. If you have a UTI (e.coli), are you at risk of spreading this infection with unprotected sex?
    According to some doctors (mainly in rehab hospitals) you can pass UTIs by urine splash.. If your partner is an able bodied or someone who can pee on demand just going after sex should take care of any bacteria. If you prefer the better safe than sorry because you might leak because of a UTI than go with the raincoat.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Ok.. sorry for the late update but here goes.

I saw my urologist briefly on the 21st of May. He put me on 100mg of nitrofurantoin for 21 days once a day. Mind you that i had just finished a 10 day course of macrobid twice a day and immediately started the nitrofurantoin (macrobid is the yellow and black gel capsule and the nitrof. is a yellow circular pressed cap). It's been better but to honestly my volume is real low.. just below 200cc and that sphincter pain/itch is there. I am not wetting the bed as frequent now. My urologist said to take a urine culture/analysis this Friday to see if the bacteria is gone or still present. Again, I have a bladder botox injection scheduled on the 5th of June and just want to make sure that having an infection won't become a major problem after the procedure. NURSE - will this be a problem? Having an infection and getting the botox procedure?

I have a kidney and bladder ultrasound scheduled this wednesday to check for any stones. My urologist says that we check for stones, and if the bacteria is not present in the urine test then we will go ahead with the botox procedure to lower the pressure as stones and pressure is probably whats causing the reoccurring UTI's. I really hope this is the case as this is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will not do bladder Botox, or any other procedure that requires cystoscopy, with a positive culture. You should also be off the Macrobid for at least 3 days before obtaining a culture.

Macrobid is the same as nitrofurantoin.

(KLD)