Thread: Traveling the US

Blog Entries

Arrow Traveling the US

I have a friend coming in this summer from Norway. She's a C6 SCI if I remember correctly. She's going to spend several weeks touring around. I can help her as far as Northeast Ohio goes, but I really have no experience in North Carolina, Washington DC, or New York City, her other destinations.

Has anybody used a travel agency that might be able to help with these diverse locations? Any resources or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

United Spinal Association has a accessible travel agency available to members. She can easily join (it's free):

www.abletotravel.org

(KLD)

Make sure she understands how hot our summers can get. In Washington DC the Smithsonian Museums are often used by locals as free air conditioned breaks when in the mall area for festivals and the 4th of July. They are very accessible and have both restaurants and gift shops. She'll need pushing help if she goes to the National Zoo unless she has serious arm muscles and it can be bumpy in places not recently repaved. Still a great zoo. The National Aquarium is actually in Baltimore in the Inner Harbor area. I believe that is a fairly easy train ride then light rail or subway from Union Station in DC.

Where is she flying in and out of? She'll want to check on availability of accessible shuttles or cabs from airports to hotels and as of 2012 BWI did not have accessible cabs nor did the Port of Baltimore. I'm hoping someone followed up on contacting the DOT about the taxi contract going to a company without any accessible vehicles. The Blue Shuttle costs a ton unless your hotel is a member.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Blog Entries
    I'll piggyback on what Sue says... let her know the humidity in the eastern half of US is horrible and even us natives never get used to it! Perhaps they have it in Norway and it won't bother her.

Blog Entries
    She was AFS student here during high school. so she should be familiar with our weather, but I'll send a reminder since DC and NC are on the itinerary.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12