Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Home Being Built

We had one problem when renovating our bathroom because of in floor radiant heat. If you plan on in floor covered ditch drains in showers be aware of exactly how deep those must be for having flat pour floors so you don't risk cutting into the heat system. We were able to keep our flat one piece shower floor with a regular drain due to a very slight grade difference otherwise we would have come dangerously close to the radiant heat system had we gone for the elongated drain. We love having gas fueled radiant heat splint into 4 areas with backup electric and the more often fast warm up gas fireplace. We also switched out the electric water heater to a gas hot water on demand system.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Those are great. The trouble is, I will have visitors will all different levels of injury. I think a manual chair would get over those thrush holds just fine and I could my sip and puff over it w/o issue, but someone on a vent or C-1 injury or higher can't hold their head up. I'm afraid it would knock them around too much. We are looking for a flat entry or tracks that can be set in the concrete. The entire house will have radiant heat and it's one big pour...slab on grade. So, if we know ahead of time which doors we wanted, we good have tracks set under the concrete for smooth transition in and out.

Thank you though, these are doors I was not familiar with. Keep this stuff coming, someday you'll all wanna come check it out!

Thanks again.
    What thresholds?? The sliding door opener goes at the top of the door. Sliding glass doors to the outdoors (patio doors) have a small threshold, but I am not talking about those for interior uses.

(KLD)

Just info and really not know all things you folks are talking about. I was building custom home when I got in accident. However, the design I made had bigger wider than "normal" door/frames. This was by design. End result was wheelchair I ended up in fits between all door frames, but 2 without any modification to doors/frames. It may be something you want to look into and not need the double doors. They go fairly wide, This was in '02. I not know how things are now. As for that cherry hardwood, all I will say is I have the same. It is "wonderful" with a wheelchair and any spec of dust/dirt. I clean the damn floor and it looks dirty before I even get done.

Great idea for the project. Don't know if it was suggested, but for aging (or not aging) chair users who can still transfer independently, a good quality full power bed would make such a home possible for vacation. Those high motel beds make travel impossible for some folks.

I love those swing doors you've got drawn in already. I'd also advise to be aware of getting too techy with electronics for door openers/closers. Don't want to get trapped inside a burning building because of a dead battery etc.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Just info and really not know all things you folks are talking about. I was building custom home when I got in accident. However, the design I made had bigger wider than "normal" door/frames. This was by design. End result was wheelchair I ended up in fits between all door frames, but 2 without any modification to doors/frames. It may be something you want to look into and not need the double doors. They go fairly wide, This was in '02. I not know how things are now. As for that cherry hardwood, all I will say is I have the same. It is "wonderful" with a wheelchair and any spec of dust/dirt. I clean the damn floor and it looks dirty before I even get done.
    This building was started in 2001 and finished in 2002. We didn't know it until after buying our unit but the architect won several awards for wider hallways and doors and an overall open floor plan. The only area we had a problem that had to be changed was the master bath. It is huge but the original layout didn't allow me to either roll under a sink or roll and turn into the huge shower that also had a 4" X 4" bump over with a glass door and cool chrome hinges. The first and only previous owner had also removed the tub and installed a makeup vanity.

Our interior designer and contractor had plenty of space to work with but the only area of the house with too many doors. The den doorway is open framed and immediately off the hall to the left leading to the master suite hall. The den also has double swing doors into the master bedroom. Then the hall soon ends in a single wide door that opens to an entry way with a wide door to the left into the bedroom, another straight across leading into the huge master closet and the last, on the right, led to the bath. All very private but a nightmare for a chair user. We decided to enter the bedroom from the den and close the entry door to the entryway with a new wall. We left the bedroom and closet doors for privacy and can still shut the swing in doors to the den if we have visitors who might want to peek through the fireplace... We gained plenty of space opening the door to the bath so the entryway became part of the bath. This area became an easy to turn into roll under vanity/sink for me and the spouse's is on the original wall further down. Both areas are in a color matching bamboo and the stacking drawer and shelf unit next to my bamboo fronted sink and the spouse's under sink vanity and stack storage area all are above the floor by about 8" making cleaning the ceramic faux stone tile floors easy to clean. We were able to move the make up vanity into the closet area where we had the carpet removed and extended the tile in there. We found the 4" bump would cause a lot of problems in trying to just remove it so the only saving there was keeping the fixtures and did the entire shower over along with a soaking tub where the vanity had been. Thankfully the previous owner's plumber had only capped the bathtub drain instead of cementing it so that wasn't a big problem either. The biggest problem was her general contractor who did her "complete redo" a few years previously didn't even use green board under the shower tiles so it was mold hell when our guys got in there. We went with the new darker green water seal wrap over the new frame. Talking to the tile guy he said the added cost of the wrap was balanced by less in labor costs doing correct taping of green board.

Being a first floor condo with underground parking most of my wheel dirt comes off between the garage, carpeted elevator and short roll on the carpeted hall outside the elevator and our front door. Currently the three bedrooms (the other two are down a second hall leading of the kitchen end of the great room) and the half of the great room furthest from the kitchen/front door hall/closet are still carpeted. Even with a large dog we don't see a lot of dirt on the floors. We do sweep the balcony style wrap around deck when needed so we don't track dirt in that way. There are 3 sliders out there from the left of the fireplace in the great room, the den and our bedroom. We only use the sliders in the great room out but often keep the others open with the screens on during the spring and fall. After decades of homes with white or off white painted baseboards I find the cherry hides dirt better. We do have a house cleaner come in every other week and get the carpets done at a hugely discounted price when the condo has the common areas cleaned normally twice a year. I do remember the wood parquet floors in our apartment in Rome were hard to keep clean due to dust, dirt and sand that flew in during the Sirocco winds from Africa. We had a large outside terrace opening to that living room and I found hosing it down every afternoon did wonders to cut the tracked in stuff. That building had a small corner drain that made the hosing down a breeze as well as watering the built in planters.

For the OP, when choosing toilets you might want to check "ADA " guidelines with the most popular brands of travel shower/commode chairs. Most travel chairs do well adjusting up and down but some of the more stylish new toilets are too wide to slide the chairs back over. Kohler also makes toilets with an added ultra flush booster that gets the job done with one flush instead of several since the introduction of the low water use toilet laws.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 05-10-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Blog Entries
    Sue,

I would love it if you could post some pics of your condo, including the view. Sounds like you did a really nice job on it. We simply added 2 chair lifts to our home but we want to make our next one accessible and you just can't find many pics on the internet to get ideas from.

One of the coolest customs I once saw had a central living room, kitchen, dining area, and then had adjacent rooms that were all connected. No hallways. It seemed quite spacious compared to the typical house with halls. He had a hoyer track in the ceiling that did a loop from dining room, living room, to study, to master bath, master bedroom and back to dining. He had a pool with a lift as well. The layout was roughly like this, though I think it had more rooms.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/P7sdwJR.jpg[/IMG]

Sue, I will say holy smokes! I actually need to go get more coffee and read this a few more times. Are your baseboards the cherry or entire floor? I did entire floor. That is why I say the thing looks dirty even before I get done dusting it. I like what you said about the dust/dirt. I have zero carpet on 1st floor except for my office. I enter via garage. This takes me through laundry room and then into kitchen. Laundry is vinyl. Dirt not big deal there, but must be cleaned because brought in from garage and outside. From laundry I am in kitchen. There is where my dark cherry hardwood floor starts. Only places without the hardwood and bathrooms and my office. If UI am on my floor with sweaty feet or even skin oil from my hands or body, that makes the floor a disaster. I need to read again more what you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    This building was started in 2001 and finished in 2002. We didn't know it until after buying our unit but the architect won several awards for wider hallways and doors and an overall open floor plan. The only area we had a problem that had to be changed was the master bath. It is huge but the original layout didn't allow me to either roll under a sink or roll and turn into the huge shower that also had a 4" X 4" bump over with a glass door and cool chrome hinges. The first and only previous owner had also removed the tub and installed a makeup vanity.

Our interior designer and contractor had plenty of space to work with but the only area of the house with too many doors. The den doorway is open framed and immediately off the hall to the left leading to the master suite hall. The den also has double swing doors into the master bedroom. Then the hall soon ends in a single wide door that opens to an entry way with a wide door to the left into the bedroom, another straight across leading into the huge master closet and the last, on the right, led to the bath. All very private but a nightmare for a chair user. We decided to enter the bedroom from the den and close the entry door to the entryway with a new wall. We left the bedroom and closet doors for privacy and can still shut the swing in doors to the den if we have visitors who might want to peek through the fireplace... We gained plenty of space opening the door to the bath so the entryway became part of the bath. This area became an easy to turn into roll under vanity/sink for me and the spouse's is on the original wall further down. Both areas are in a color matching bamboo and the stacking drawer and shelf unit next to my bamboo fronted sink and the spouse's under sink vanity and stack storage area all are above the floor by about 8" making cleaning the ceramic faux stone tile floors easy to clean. We were able to move the make up vanity into the closet area where we had the carpet removed and extended the tile in there. We found the 4" bump would cause a lot of problems in trying to just remove it so the only saving there was keeping the fixtures and did the entire shower over along with a soaking tub where the vanity had been. Thankfully the previous owner's plumber had only capped the bathtub drain instead of cementing it so that wasn't a big problem either. The biggest problem was her general contractor who did her "complete redo" a few years previously didn't even use green board under the shower tiles so it was mold hell when our guys got in there. We went with the new darker green water seal wrap over the new frame. Talking to the tile guy he said the added cost of the wrap was balanced by less in labor costs doing correct taping of green board.

Being a first floor condo with underground parking most of my wheel dirt comes off between the garage, carpeted elevator and short roll on the carpeted hall outside the elevator and our front door. Currently the three bedrooms (the other two are down a second hall leading of the kitchen end of the great room) and the half of the great room furthest from the kitchen/front door hall/closet are still carpeted. Even with a large dog we don't see a lot of dirt on the floors. We do sweep the balcony style wrap around deck when needed so we don't track dirt in that way. There are 3 sliders out there from the left of the fireplace in the great room, the den and our bedroom. We only use the sliders in the great room out but often keep the others open with the screens on during the spring and fall. After decades of homes with white or off white painted baseboards I find the cherry hides dirt better. We do have a house cleaner come in every other week and get the carpets done at a hugely discounted price when the condo has the common areas cleaned normally twice a year. I do remember the wood parquet floors in our apartment in Rome were hard to keep clean due to dust, dirt and sand that flew in during the Sirocco winds from Africa. We had a large outside terrace opening to that living room and I found hosing it down every afternoon did wonders to cut the tracked in stuff. That building had a small corner drain that made the hosing down a breeze as well as watering the built in planters.

For the OP, when choosing toilets you might want to check "ADA " guidelines with the most popular brands of travel shower/commode chairs. Most travel chairs do well adjusting up and down but some of the more stylish new toilets are too wide to slide the chairs back over. Kohler also makes toilets with an added ultra flush booster that gets the job done with one flush instead of several since the introduction of the low water use toilet laws.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Sue,

I would love it if you could post some pics of your condo, including the view. Sounds like you did a really nice job on it. We simply added 2 chair lifts to our home but we want to make our next one accessible and you just can't find many pics on the internet to get ideas from.
    I posted a few links to after pictures of the bathroom our decorator/contractor has on her site on another thread here. I'll find the old site that has the pics used by the original realtor and it shows the bath we had to redo and pm it to you.