Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Custom Home Being Built

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    That bathroom is gorgeous!
    Thanks! Although the designer did stage the place with props because she later used it at a remodeling show. The counter tops are hard to distinguish but they are a cream color with various sizes and colors of flakes all made from a stone and resin composite. The flecks of color go from white to dark brown and depending on surrounding colors look different. The several shades of grey appear to have a very light olive green undertone to them due to the surrounding walls. The roll under sink is where the first door into the master suite entryway was and behind it in the picture is the walk in closet door. We also retained the door to the bedroom but with some serious woodworking skills above it to frame where the ceiling track comes through. The workman did a fantastic job joining pieces of the previous door ways and some baseboard into, really, a piece of artwork itself there. This is the first time I've seen her put the picture up showing the track so she must be getting more clients who ask about aging in place.

The old bath? I had her carpenter take his sawz-all to the cabinet under the first original sink so I could use it that first summer and really get a feel for what we would need. Jay could get me over the 4" hump about every 3rd day to destink but I became a spitting expert when brushing my teeth again. Oh, and since much of the previous bathroom was barely used many lightening elements, sinks, mirrors and everything else that ReStore would take was donated there. Same with two very petite toilets. I kept the short one in the master but she was petite and my husband and dad had problems with the powder and guestroom toilets not being tall enough. So we changed those out and added a HEWI Nylon grab bar next to the guestroom toilet since my Dad still felt better with a grab bar after he broke his hip and as soon as we moved in permanently in January 2012 the spouse was on a short course to hip replacement one. So height of toilets change on disability. Only problem was the designer had never seen this type of fold up grab bar that many hotels and cruise ships use. She didn't think they'd need an installation kit. They did. So that slight hole will get fixed when we get to that bath.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Not sure how I accomplished no popping grease. I do have Viking range and hood. Maybe that does it. I also stay my range when cooking on top. Just lucky I guess. Now that I said luck, probably won't have anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Thanks! This is exactly what I meant for protecting us both from splatter burns and greasy floors. Thanks KLD!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

We are in the process of closing on a perfect piece of land on which we hope to build a custom, fully accessible home! The floorplan JCampbell shows (below) is almost exactly what we have given to the builder as a starting point. Because this construction project won't be started until Spring 2015, we are now in the "research and education" mode, trying to learn everything possible about the best materials, etc., to use for our purposes. One of the main concerns we have is flooring. We would like to have ALL ceramic tile, but financially that may not be possible. What experience(s) does anyone have on the most durable flooring materials for a 400-pound power chair with a 250-pound man? Thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
    One of the coolest customs I once saw had a central living room, kitchen, dining area, and then had adjacent rooms that were all connected. No hallways. It seemed quite spacious compared to the typical house with halls. He had a hoyer track in the ceiling that did a loop from dining room, living room, to study, to master bath, master bedroom and back to dining. He had a pool with a lift as well. The layout was roughly like this, though I think it had more rooms.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/P7sdwJR.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe it's because we're a two wheeler family, but we have back-up chairs, parts, cushions all over the place. Suggest you consider a dedicated room for equipment. It's amazing how much space is needed for disability related gear.
    Good luck on a great plan!

Look up a company called open sesame. With tech today I believe these door openers can be activated by voice using the Amazon echo and a home automation system like nest.

trapper, I used to be a cement mason . You can pour the slab and put a floor track in afterwards. Just don't wait till drywall to do it.

I am an idiot. This post is way old