Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Home Being Built

Custom Home Being Built

Hello, all. I'm a C-2 quad. I've been injured for almost 6 year. I was injured in a diving accident. I spent 2 months in ICU and 5 months at Craig Hospital of Colorado. I'm from a town of 1600 in NE Washington. My town rallied around me at the time of my struggles. I've met several folks with SCI since, many of which, who did not receive the generosity that I did. While all the efforts and fund raising went on I felt very overwhelmed and began to worry about facing these individuals and the town for that matter. A few close friends, my family and I began thinking outside the box. Long story short, we developed a charity that now gives back to organizations, families and individuals in need or distress. The name of my charity is The Casey McKern Pay it Forward Charity.

I'm having a complete ADA, custom home built in NE Washington and was looking to get some opinions/feedback on the floor plan. As you can see, it's a fairly large footprint. My hopes for this home, are that when finished it can serve as a bed & breakfast/lay over/vacation house for SCI seeking travel and occupational opportunity. One end of the house will be my personal living space. I will have a bedroom, bathroom and office that can be closed off to the rest of the house for privacy. At the other end, is a similar lay out, with an ADA bedroom and bathroom, along with a standard bed/bath for a caregiver/spouse. In the center of the house is the Great Room with an ADA kitchen, raised bar/island (for wheelchair convenience), dining room and living room. A wall splits the great room in half and will have two sets of French doors on each side of a two sided fireplace. On the other side of the wall, will be an indoor/outdoor enclosed patio. The exterior wall of the patio space will have a set of two 8x8, glass garage doors that can be lifted to create an outdoor atmosphere, or left down, with the French doors open to create one large indoor entertainment space.

This is all being made possible by Habitat For Humanity and The Casey Mckern Pay It Forward Charity. We've got some cool stuff going on here in our corner of Washington and would like to share the experience with others. This house will be a way to offer outdoor activities to anyone willing to travel.

Some of the hobbies/activities we have to offer include, shooting (target practice and/or hunting), boating and/or fishing on Lake Roosevelt, there are several accessible trails through beautiful mountain ranges and the scenery is wonderful year around.

I know there are a ton off gadgets/electronics out there that we are not familiar with. We're looking to make this house as accessible as possible. I am a C-2 quad looking for independence, I know it's out there. Please give any advice and information you have on door opening mechanisms/modules..etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The mountains are calling, I must go.

Any way to insert a link to an image we can enlarge? Will there be ceiling track lifts? All I really see from this small an image is a lot of doors. Can some be made into pocket doors?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Any way to insert a link to an image we can enlarge? Will there be ceiling track lifts? All I really see from this small an image is a lot of doors. Can some be made into pocket doors?
    I have the floor plan in PDF format, but I'm not sure how to attach it. Any tips?

Try this.

chrome://external-file/CASEY%20MCKERN%20041814%20flpl.pdf

Get rid of all those doors!!. I have all pocket doors in my house. Except the two outside doors that open outward.

Hey this plan looks ok. If the brief was to provide a residence with bed and breakfast/respite accommodation, I'd say it's about right.

baldfatdad has raised a very important question actually. I, as a building designer generally find pocket doors ugly BUT in an application where electronic close/open is required surface sliding or pocket sliding doors are the best option. Normal swing doors with open/close mechanisms are a bit of a nightmare (and expensive). Now, electronic pocket sliding door mechanisms are simpler but still quite expensive, that alone should be reason enough to also cut down on the number of doors in the plan.

Any advice I could give would be this one thing: That the house is finished to look like a home NOT an accessible facility, any good designer or architect should understand this. Sure you need a lot of equipment but there is no reason your home should look like a hospital ward.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

We have full hardwood cherry all over our place so I don't want foot rest and toe marks allover my great doors. We removed two easily and had I thought about it more or was here during the wall build one set of double doors would now be one extra wide pocket door. The only thing we have that looks hospitally is the lift but for me to use the soaking tub and for this house to be where we stay until we die we needed a lift. Most of the hardware is above the ceiling so if we sell it will be an easy fix if someone wants it gone. The rest of the reno is all in keeping with the above par lakefront condo we bought. The entire building had many universal design features already so our change was mainly doing what the OP is thinking, we enclosed the den in with the master bedroom, master bath and a huge roll in closet. The den and greatroom share a see through gas fireplace.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    Hey this plan looks ok. If the brief was to provide a residence with bed and breakfast/respite accommodation, I'd say it's about right.

baldfatdad has raised a very important question actually. I, as a building designer generally find pocket doors ugly BUT in an application where electronic close/open is required surface sliding or pocket sliding doors are the best option. Normal swing doors with open/close mechanisms are a bit of a nightmare (and expensive). Now, electronic pocket sliding door mechanisms are simpler but still quite expensive, that alone should be reason enough to also cut down on the number of doors in the plan.

Any advice I could give would be this one thing: That the house is finished to look like a home NOT an accessible facility, any good designer or architect should understand this. Sure you need a lot of equipment but there is no reason your home should look like a hospital ward.

I have the funds for several doors and I think they are necessary. Believe it or not, we have cut a number of them out. The architect and I have worked hard to make this house feel warming and proportional inside. I think it will feel homy inside. Love the idea of pocket doors, I just can't find an operable system for a high quad. All doors will be able to be opened with a button or sensors to allow independence and privacy at both ends of the house. Do you have a link for the automatic sliders? Those sound like exactly what I'm after.

Here is a company that makes a power system for slide glass doors:

http://www.autoslide.com/

Here is a video of their product on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISsQrb_F-0

Here is another one, which would require that the users have the pet control tag attached to them or their chair for it to work hands-free: http://www.adadoors.com/Residential.htm

There are a lot of very attractive sliding doors for internal residential use now if you use "barn door" type of hardware for hanging (not just pocket doors).

(KLD)

Those are great. The trouble is, I will have visitors will all different levels of injury. I think a manual chair would get over those thrush holds just fine and I could my sip and puff over it w/o issue, but someone on a vent or C-1 injury or higher can't hold their head up. I'm afraid it would knock them around too much. We are looking for a flat entry or tracks that can be set in the concrete. The entire house will have radiant heat and it's one big pour...slab on grade. So, if we know ahead of time which doors we wanted, we good have tracks set under the concrete for smooth transition in and out.

Thank you though, these are doors I was not familiar with. Keep this stuff coming, someday you'll all wanna come check it out!

Thanks again.