Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Classes?

Driving Classes?

Does anyone know the legal basis for the requirement of a certification that hand-control installers are insisting on?
    I have been driving without the use of my legs since 1986 and have been licensed in 4 states and had controls installed on over 10 vehicles and am not getting hit with this requirement and find myself at a loss for the basis.
    The auto manufacturers sell me cars and trucks without it. My insurance company is expressly forbidden from asking about my disability or placing any requirements on me. I am licensed by the state. If someone regardless of disability takes a driving class it does not indemnify anyone in the event of an accident.
    How is it that these companies can apply an additional (and meaningless) hurdle to my ability to get controls installed?
    This sounds like just another case of perpetuating the stereotype that there is additional liability in dealing with disabled people because the only answer I can get from the installers is "if I install this and you get in an accident and I have no proof that you were trained to use this appliance I will get sued". This makes no sense to me as the dealer does not ask if I have been trained to drive a car and in fact most people do not get formal training to drive.

This varies by the state. Many states do not have that requirement. For example, CA where I live does not have this law. Any option for purchasing your equipment in a close-by state without this requirement??

(KLD)

This is not a state requirement. I checked with the DMV this is something the companies have invented as best as I can tell.

Thanks

PA REQUIRES 20 hours training AND the trainer will take you to PA DOT for Driver License test in THEIR vehicle when training is completed. You must pass visual exam as well as "intelligence" test on knowing the signs. I am starting to do this right now if I get pas medical exam. There are only 2 places in PA doing the training. 1 in Allentown and other in western PA - I not know where on this. I am pretty baffled about what you say insurance. If I were you, I really think you need to have the insurance and they must know you are driving with vehicle with the hand controls. Another thing on the intelligence, better pickup a driver manual and see what is in there. I had a pre-rest few years ago and there were signs they asked me to identify, I never see. I have driver license 30+ tears.

Ask a lawyer if you can sue them for discrimination.

Faced the same issue, after finding out that state does not require the certification, i had a friend weld me some hand controls, went to dmv took the written test and passed the driving test with the same hand controls, got my license. Still driving with the same hand controls, certification would have costed me $1500.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Down here in Md, they don't require training but do require a skills test to be sure you have the skills with hand controls to be safe. When passed you get an endorsement on your liscense, kinda like our motorcycle endorsement.

I'm not too sure what Delaware requires for liscense, but I've had controls installed by a Del company without question.

My license is suspended since 2002, day of accident, I also have letter from PA DOT DMV stating all of this requirements in order to get the license back. If not suspended and only SCI, I cannot confirm. Smartest thing to do is go onto the PO DOT website www.dmv.state.pa.us and ask your question. They respond fairly quick.

Do you have some form of license from whatever states you lived in that has something like 'automatic transmission' or 'hand controls' endorsements? (like here in IL). That should be enough for the streetcorner lawyers hanging around the hand control joints. Or just pick another place if you still get some guff over this 'requirement'

The hospital have evaluation and training available. Did my eval and training thru the Hershey Medical center.