Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notes from Susan Harkema's (and other's) talks

Notes from Susan Harkema's (and other's) talks

Today I had the pleasure of attending the "Current Advances in Spinal Cord Injury Research Symposium" at the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ. It was a great event with a lot of good presentations about a lot of good research, including presentations by Reggie Edgerton and Susan Harkema, who went in depth with more information about the latest epidural stim study in the journal Brain. I threw together some notes from all the presentations which I have a link to here. A few things about the notes:
    -I had a pounding headache and was congested with allergies all day, in addition to trying to type fast on a tablet while paying attention to the presentations. This resulted in a lot of abbreviations and other things I had to basically "translate" before posting the notes you see below. Please excuse any spelling errors.
    -Anything in quotations should not be taken as an absolutely direct quote from the presenters. I tried to get exact quotes as closely as I could, but I wrote this up a few hours after taking my original notes.
    -If you have any questions or want me to elaborate on something, ask me. However, everything in this write up is information directly from the presenters. Nothing is my own personal opinions, beliefs, or interpretation of their presentations. Yes, they are my personal notes, but they are nothing but summaries of information I took away from the presentations. (Things in italics are explanations of big words that I got from wikipedia or google, for those who may need them.) If you disagree with, are infuriated or outraged by, or want to laugh, cry or throw a parade about something you read, don't take it up with me, I'm just the messenger. Do a google search and contact the presenter directly.

So, here is a link to my notes:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucgryjbjw7...%20edited.docx

Thanks for attending and taking these notes for us. Fantastic job! I hope you're feeling better this evening.

Many thanks tomsonite!

very good notes, thanks.

Thanks, Tommy I can't wait to see the notes (can't get to dropbox at work) We were going to go but turned out to be a BP day.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Glad everyone likes the notes, hopefully some people get something out of them. It really was a fantastic day loaded with outstanding presentations. Muskie, they do this every year so you should plan to go next year for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Today I had the pleasure of attending the "Current Advances in Spinal Cord Injury Research Symposium" at the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ. It was a great event with a lot of good presentations about a lot of good research, including presentations by Reggie Edgerton and Susan Harkema, who went in depth with more information about the latest epidural stim study in the journal Brain. I threw together some notes from all the presentations which I have a link to here. A few things about the notes:
    -I had a pounding headache and was congested with allergies all day, in addition to trying to type fast on a tablet while paying attention to the presentations. This resulted in a lot of abbreviations and other things I had to basically "translate" before posting the notes you see below. Please excuse any spelling errors.
    -Anything in quotations should not be taken as an absolutely direct quote from the presenters. I tried to get exact quotes as closely as I could, but I wrote this up a few hours after taking my original notes.
    -If you have any questions or want me to elaborate on something, ask me. However, everything in this write up is information directly from the presenters. Nothing is my own personal opinions, beliefs, or interpretation of their presentations. Yes, they are my personal notes, but they are nothing but summaries of information I took away from the presentations. (Things in italics are explanations of big words that I got from wikipedia or google, for those who may need them.) If you disagree with, are infuriated or outraged by, or want to laugh, cry or throw a parade about something you read, don't take it up with me, I'm just the messenger. Do a google search and contact the presenter directly.

So, here is a link to my notes:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucgryjbjw7...%20edited.docx
    Thanks for taking and sharing your notes. I know how difficult it is to attend these meetings and take good notes. I think you did really a good job.

It's disappointing that there was NOTHING significant about reparing the chronically injured spinal cord, but that's what happens most of the times at these meetings, which drives me mad as it is clear that most of the SCI researchers don't even try to really cure chronic SCI.

About the Epi-stim from what you reported from Susan Harkema & Reggie Edgertong I am even more convinced it's all just a castel of cards.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post

It's disappointing that there was NOTHING significant about reparing the chronically injured spinal cord, but that's what happens most of the times at these meetings, which drives me mad as it is clear that most of the SCI researchers don't even try to really cure chronic SCI.
    There usually does seem to be a focus on how to regain one function or another, rather than regenerating the spinal cord and then figuring out how to regain everything.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    About the Epi-stim from what you reported from Susan Harkema & Reggie Edgertong I am even more convinced it's all just a castel of cards.

Paolo
    You continue to perplex me, Paolo. But the point of this thread is not for me to express my opinions, so I will hold to that.

There usually does seem to be a focus on how to regain one function or another, rather than regenerating the spinal cord and then figuring out how to regain everything.

With regeneration you can't expect to regain everything with the first therapy, but regeneration is an essential component to finally cure SCI one day. If it's not the main focus a cure will take 100 years to happen.
    It is also strange that regenerative medicine is getting more and more attention in many areas of medical research while in SCI research researchers are drifting away from it and some SCI cure advocates even seem to agree with that.

Paolo

You continue to perplex me, Paolo. But the point of this thread is not for me to express my opinions, so I will hold to that.
    I am perplex too. According to your notes:

"-In the context of using epidural stimulation in everyday life, she said “it’s not practical, it’s not useful." This was in reference to having to change configurations to do different things, and always needing the stimulator on to do different motor tasks."

Also:

"-Future Research: The other 4 subjects, in a different study funded by a different funder, will be evaluated on CV function, voluntary motor control, and stand training/function. Questionnaire data will also be collected on bowel, bladder, and sexual function."

So for such important functions as bowel & bladder they will just collect "questinnaire data". In my personal opinion that is very sloppy scienze.

Finally:

"-2 subjects now have "pretty normal bowel movements". It takes about 20 minutes, but all they have to do is sit on the toilet and go."

Does that mean they recovered sphincter control?

Paolo