Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on second opinion for surgery....

Exclamation Update on second opinion for surgery....

Here is the update on what happened at my second opinion surgery appointment earlier this week.........

Well, I went to the second opinion appointment on the 24th and was told that yes, I did need to undergo surgery again . They are going to completely remove the mesh product that was put in there originally and repair the defect the "old fashioned" way. I have it scheduled for May 14th. I figured at this point, I have started the semester and just want to try to stick it out. I asked them if I needed to, at some point, if I could reschedule it for sooner and they told me I could. Provided I gave them at least a week notice.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Ugh-sorry you are going through all of this Becky.

Becky, so sorry to hear that you need surgery again. I hope this time fixes it. Wise.

Blog Entries
    Nice of the hospital/surgeon to work with you so you can finish your semester.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I know .. there are so many frickin' obstacles in the way ... but you'll finish school and be healthy ... believe it will happen!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm very grateful that people are understanding how important it is for me to finish this semester!! It's just shocking though how on one topic people will listen and get it but then on another topic though won't.... Oh well, that's another rant for another day .

Thanks for all the good wishes!!! Only 15 weeks out.....

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    I'm very grateful that people are understanding how important it is for me to finish this semester!! It's just shocking though how on one topic people will listen and get it but then on another topic though won't.... Oh well, that's another rant for another day .

Thanks for all the good wishes!!! Only 15 weeks out.....

Becky
    Finish.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Becky, is the mesh for a hernia? If so, why are they removing it? I had hernia surgery last Oct and they put mesh in. Curious as to what your problem is. Thanks, Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Hi Mike.... Yes, the mesh is for a hernia. The hernia was acquired from a previous surgery. The issue with the mesh is the amount of pain that it is causing me. Ever since the mesh was placed, I can't eat normal sized portions of things because when my stomach expands, it pushes on the mesh and causes a large amount of pain. I can't take deep breathes because again, sharp pains.

I was told that this is a fairly "common" thing to happen. Some people just don't accept the mesh. I guess think of it like a transplant.

Anyway, they are going to remove the mesh patch and close up the hernia defect the "old fashioned" way.

How are you doing with the mesh Mike?? What kind of hernia did you have repaired?

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Becky - I say go for finishing the semester if you can. It is important for your sanity and if you can tolerate the discomfort and pain, you should be ok.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    CKF