Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Anyone else has this problem?

  1. #1

    Anyone else has this problem?

    My body gets tired of being in the same position really quickly and as a result I get AD ( not severely but I have to go to washroom quickly after). During the day I'm fairly active so overall its okay and I have to do catheter every 3 hours but the problem is the nights. When I go to bed , I have to go to bathroom 1 hour later. Then when I go back to bed I switch position. Again every hour after that my bladder is completely full and I have to get up and do catheter. Its really annoying because I have to get up 5-6 times a night and if I dont because i was tired i leak. Every time I got up during the night I feel that side of my body that i was lying is tired and my legs feels like when my legs goes to sleep back in my able body days. I don't have a bladder infection and I did a urodynamic last month. I know I have a super neurogenic bladder . I started Myrbetriq (mirabegron) 25 miligram a day. It helped during the day a litte but nights are still a disaster.. Any suggestion what to do?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    When you cath at night how much do you normally get?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  3. #3
    200 mil which is a full bladder for me ( at my urodynamic 170 was when I felt I needed to go). Plus when I wake up im super over heated

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie_girl_ View Post
    200 mil which is a full bladder for me ( at my urodynamic 170 was when I felt I needed to go). Plus when I wake up im super over heated
    Having to cath every 3 hours during the day and 5-6 times at night is too much. As you are experiencing, your quality of life is is greatly impacted by having to cath so often. A good bladder capacity between caths is 400-500ml. You probably need to have a conversation with your urologist about an indwelling urethral catheter or a supra pubic catheter.

    All the best,
    GJ

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Having to cath every 3 hours during the day and 5-6 times at night is too much. As you are experiencing, your quality of life is is greatly impacted by having to cath so often. A good bladder capacity between caths is 400-500ml. You probably need to have a conversation with your urologist about an indwelling urethral catheter or a supra pubic catheter.

    All the best,
    GJ
    I DO have a neurogenic bladder hence the medication..I have talked to my urologist about Botox injections..but I was hoping for any other suggestions

  6. #6
    Senior Member marvin_cr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    100
    I think a full bladder at 200ml is a bit low. I would have a discussion with your urologist if there is something you can do to increase the capacity. I have been Post-SCI for 35 yrs now, and over the years i have been able to get my capacity to 600-700ml with no issues. Some things I have noticed and you may want to consider. Some days, my legs for some reason, store a lot of fluid, and after I lay down it seems an hour or so later my bladder is full, after I use the rest room, I am fine and can sleep the rest of the night with no issues. Limit caffeine drinks to the morning. I limit caffeine drinks to the morning and no later that 3pm. Also, I drink more water earlier in the day, and only a 10 oz bottle of water in the evening. I konw it is easier said than done, but get in to a routine on daily liquid intake.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin_cr View Post
    I think a full bladder at 200ml is a bit low. I would have a discussion with your urologist if there is something you can do to increase the capacity. I have been Post-SCI for 35 yrs now, and over the years i have been able to get my capacity to 600-700ml with no issues. Some things I have noticed and you may want to consider. Some days, my legs for some reason, store a lot of fluid, and after I lay down it seems an hour or so later my bladder is full, after I use the rest room, I am fine and can sleep the rest of the night with no issues. Limit caffeine drinks to the morning. I limit caffeine drinks to the morning and no later that 3pm. Also, I drink more water earlier in the day, and only a 10 oz bottle of water in the evening. I konw it is easier said than done, but get in to a routine on daily liquid intake.
    May I ask how you increased your bladder capacity? are you taking any medications?

  8. #8
    Do you have spasticity in your bladder? It sounds as though you might, but am just double checking. Do you take any other bladder medications? DO you have a routine for drinking, like marvin suggested?
    When you lay down, your kidneys work better, hence your need to get up more frequently. And has been said, 200 cc is a small bladder. The two together are a disaster for you.
    I would encourage you to speak to your urologist about this. Pretty soon (if you aren't alreay) you will be sleep deprived. In the meantime, I would take a look at your water/fluid intake pattern and see if you can readjust it some to have more of it in the morning and afternoon and decrease it dramatically in the evening. Also staying away from caffeinated beverages may help.
    CKF

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have spasticity in your bladder? It sounds as though you might, but am just double checking. Do you take any other bladder medications? DO you have a routine for drinking, like marvin suggested?
    When you lay down, your kidneys work better, hence your need to get up more frequently. And has been said, 200 cc is a small bladder. The two together are a disaster for you.
    I would encourage you to speak to your urologist about this. Pretty soon (if you aren't alreay) you will be sleep deprived. In the meantime, I would take a look at your water/fluid intake pattern and see if you can readjust it some to have more of it in the morning and afternoon and decrease it dramatically in the evening. Also staying away from caffeinated beverages may help.
    CKF
    Yes VERY VERY spastic bladder. He prescribed medications but still not much of a difference. I don't know what my bladder capacity is but I know between 200-250 is when i leak

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie_girl_ View Post
    Yes VERY VERY spastic bladder. He prescribed medications but still not much of a difference. I don't know what my bladder capacity is but I know between 200-250 is when i leak
    There are other options to indwelling catheters, but they are major surgeries with a good deal of recovery time. That said, many people find these procedure to be life changers when small bladder capacity and very spastic bladders cause frequent catheterizations. These procedures are Mitrofanoff and Ileovesicostomy. You can search Care Cure or more information about these procedures.

    All the best,
    GJ

Similar Threads

  1. Is this a UTI problem?
    By ex-Gooserider in forum Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 03:28 AM
  2. Anyone else have this problem?
    By They Might Be SCI Giants in forum Life
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
  3. IE7 problem
    By Jimi5 in forum Computers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
  4. Does anyone have this problem?
    By Raven in forum Pain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 11:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •