Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing hardware cause scoliosis?

Removing hardware cause scoliosis?

I'm a T6 complete 2 yrs post, thinking about having my hardware removed mainly because I have a lot of back pain and being skinny and active doesn't help. My neurosurgeon told me that down the road (i'm 28 now) I could have some issues with my spine starting to curve due to posture/gravity. So now I'm concerned about how soon and severe this might be. I don't want to have rods put back in. If this would help my pain it would probably be worth it, though I know its not a guarantee. I would hate to be 10 years down the road still in pain wondering if I should have had it removed. I have rods from t3-t8. Has anyone had issues with their spine moving after hardware removal? Or do the nurses see or hear about this happening? Thanks

It will depend on the type ofinjury that you have as to whether or not you could be a candidate to develop scoliosis. I am not sure that anyone can tell you when you would develop this and how severe it might be. Are you an incomplete or complete injury? How much spasticity do you have? These are two contributing factors.
    CKF

T5 complete here, 28 years this August. You're going to get a little (or a lot) of scoliosis no matter what you do over time. I still have my rods in, and I have slight scoliosis. Nothing major, but you can see the slight curvature on an xray. If they take them out, no surgeon will put them back in, they're gone for good. Think it through, talk it over with your doctor a little more in depth. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I'm a T6 complete 2 yrs post, thinking about having my hardware removed mainly because I have a lot of back pain and being skinny and active doesn't help. My neurosurgeon told me that down the road (i'm 28 now) I could have some issues with my spine starting to curve due to posture/gravity. So now I'm concerned about how soon and severe this might be. I don't want to have rods put back in. If this would help my pain it would probably be worth it, though I know its not a guarantee. I would hate to be 10 years down the road still in pain wondering if I should have had it removed. I have rods from t3-t8. Has anyone had issues with their spine moving after hardware removal? Or do the nurses see or hear about this happening? Thanks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It will depend on the type ofinjury that you have as to whether or not you could be a candidate to develop scoliosis. I am not sure that anyone can tell you when you would develop this and how severe it might be. Are you an incomplete or complete injury? How much spasticity do you have? These are two contributing factors.
    CKF
    I'm a complete, asia a. Very little spasticity. Also, I'm 6'2 and have never had great posture. Which makes me afraid that I will constantly be worried about it if I have the rods taken out. On the other hand, I have so much pain and would hate to pass up an opportunity to relive some of it. I'm just trying to determine if the issues from the possible scoliosis will be worse than the pain i will continue to have if I pass on the surgery.

If worst case scenario, I do this and start getting scoliosis 5-10 years later, then what? What would I do at that point?

Whats the chance of getting scoliosis anyway with hardware left in?

Their has to be some numbers or data on this topic

Almost everyone gets a little curve, SCI or not. If you had severe scoliosis, then you might be considered a candidate to have rods, or whatever the treatment is then, done. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any data on this. Since everyone is different, there is really no way to predict the future of your spine. Given that you are a complete injury, with little to no spasticity, I would have to think your chances of developing severe scoliosis are less than someone with an incomplete injury and spasticity. Also, you are past growing, so that is in your favor.I don't know what else to tell you.CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Almost everyone gets a little curve, SCI or not. If you had severe scoliosis, then you might be considered a candidate to have rods, or whatever the treatment is then, done. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any data on this. Since everyone is different, there is really no way to predict the future of your spine. Given that you are a complete injury, with little to no spasticity, I would have to think your chances of developing severe scoliosis are less than someone with an incomplete injury and spasticity. Also, you are past growing, so that is in your favor.I don't know what else to tell you.CKF
    Thanks for the response. Is there really much difference in the stability of my spine being fused from t4-7 compared to my rods running only one vertebrae above and below (t3-8)? In other words, is just a section of fused vertebrae much different than ones held in place with rods? Or is the fused section of my spine just as susceptible to moving as with the rods? If that makes sense... It seems if I had the hardware removed, the fact that the same part of my spine is fused wouldn't be much different.

Brad, describe your pain.

Are you a candidate for a pain pump? Maybe that avenue would be better. I have lower back pain and dilaudid in my pump helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Brad, describe your pain.
    It's hard to describe, but it's different than the neuropathic pain I have from my injury level down. It's more centralized in the center of my back, right where my hardware is. It feels more like muscular pain, if that makes sense.