Thread: Lordosis exercises

I still haven't found a solution.

Honestly I would go to a sports doctor and get their advice. I would assume a good brace would help

Thank you for the suggestion, I requested a referral from my rehab Dr. and she set up an appointment for the physical therapist. I see him next week.

Just noticed your post Noel, I blew out my right knee too around 22 years ago and then just did my left knee about 2 months ago, infact the leg too just below the knee. So I'm in the the same boat you are in and have not attempted to get on the FES bike yet as I want to make sure my leg is completely healed, but I've wondered how it's gonna be when I do. The left leg now really does not like to go out straight and when I try I get lots of spasticity and even A/D if I try to straighten it for a prolonged period. I guess I need to do some PT. If I were you though and I'm going to try this too, I'd try wrapping your knees with a ace bandage before you ride and give that a try, it should offer some support the joints I'd think and may be enough to get you through a longer ride on the FES bike.

Hi Curt, pedaling with this bum knee is tricky but by being very careful I've worked my way up to 45 minute sessions every other day now. Finding the best pedal height helped with the knee discomfort. The damage is to my left leg; and besides the joint being sloppy, from the knee down the leg kicks out to the side. If I sit directly in front of the bike, when strapped in the deformity makes the thigh and the knee point in (sort of like standing pigeon toed on one leg). This misalignment places pressure on the hip joint, making a clicking noise, causing it pain. I found that by sitting off to the right, just off center, I can pedal more go to plays comfortably. Is not perfect and often requires a couple restarts to get my alignment right. I rely on visuals and audio cues for a successful run.

As soon as possible, I plan to make a pedal axle/rod extension so I can park directly in front of the bike and pedal with proper hip alignment.

I ride twice a week for a total of 15 miles. 507.5 miles so far this year. My legs splay out when strapped into the bike so we secure them, for better alignment, with ace bandages. Works well and helps keep the hips in better aligment.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel
    Hi Curt, pedaling with this bum knee is tricky but by being very careful I've worked my way up to 45 minute sessions every other day now. Finding the best pedal height helped with the knee discomfort. The damage is to my left leg; and besides the joint being sloppy, from the knee down the leg kicks out to the side. If I sit directly in front of the bike, when strapped in the deformity makes the thigh and the knee point in (sort of like standing pigeon toed on one leg). This misalignment places pressure on the hip joint, making a clicking noise, causing it pain. I found that by sitting off to the right, just off center, I can pedal more go to plays comfortably. Is not perfect and often requires a couple restarts to get my alignment right. I rely on visuals and audio cues for a successful run.

As soon as possible, I plan to make a pedal axle/rod extension so I can park directly in front of the bike and pedal with proper hip alignment.
    Sounds like your doing the right things. I forgot to mention all you said about alignment and all. You want to make sure to your knees have a bend in them and are not extending out too straight on the far end of the pedal stroke. I've yet to try my FES bike since my injury 7 weeks ago, but will soon, I think after the 8 week mark I should be safe, I may have an xray done before starting the program again just to be safe.

Hi Curt, are you back on the bike? Part of the problem with my knee has to do with my worsening scoliosis. I cannot remain stationary while peddling. My butt migrates to one side. A snug seatbelt helps, but after seeing the physical therapists I believe I've found a cushion that offers the perfect solution. It's the Ride Designs cushion, and I was really impressed with how stable I was when testing the trial unit.
    I have a question for you. This is slightly off topic, but I seem to recall reading an old post where you mentioned a good source for purchasing electrodes. I am looking for bulk or wholesale pricing, any suggestions?

Noel, check out French Creek Medical, they have the cheapest prices I've ever found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite
    Noel, check out French Creek Medical, they have the cheapest prices I've ever found so far.
    Thank you for the tip, my supplies just arrived, the pricing is excellent and they carry the standard products.