Thread: catheter change

catheter change

hey guys
    so i am back in atlanta and in need of a catheter change. i have a spc. usually i get it changed at shepherd but they charge a bomb(i have no insurance). so was wondering if you guys know any nursing agency that come change it for me? i did get in touch with one agency, but after they came over, they decided they couldnt do it.
    would appreciate any help.
    vaibhav

First you will need a physician's order, and then you will have to find a home health agency that has trained nurses (usually RNs) who have been trained to change an SP catheter. Many RNs have not had this training (I have just recently been helping train all the other RNs outside the SCI unit at our VA to do this because they did not have previous training).

You might be able to get it changed at an Urgent Care clinic, but I would call ahead to see if they could do this, and what it would cost.

I would strongly encourage you to have your regular caregiver trained in how to do this so that they can do both your regular changes and also change it in an emergency such as you had previously.

(KLD)

wow really? i did not know RN's needed special training to change a spc. infact when i was in italy a couple of years ago, the nurses at the rehab center had never seen a spc, but were able to change it without any issues. same in california last year, a nurse just came over and changed it at home without any problem.

regarding training my caregiver. i have a big mental block about this. i have had some bad experiences before and am not comfortable iwith my caregiver doing it.
    vaibhav

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhavjain View Post
    wow really? i did not know RN's needed special training to change a spc. infact when i was in italy a couple of years ago, the nurses at the rehab center had never seen a spc, but were able to change it without any issues. same in california last year, a nurse just came over and changed it at home without any problem.

regarding training my caregiver. i have a big mental block about this. i have had some bad experiences before and am not comfortable iwith my caregiver doing it.
    vaibhav
    I know a few people who use a supra pubic catheter that have the catheter changed at their urologist's office once a month by a medical tech. Maybe this is an alternative for you.

All the best,
    GJ

When I had a supra pubic catheter, I always changed my own.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

There are several differences from how a urethral indwelling catheter is changed that apply to the SP, so a nurse who does not know these precautions can easily insert the SP wrong. I have seen it happen many times.

The OP needs to have someone who can be trained to insert a new catheter in an emergency, as occurred to him recently when it clogged, and he had no way to get it changed. If he does not trust his caregiver to learn how to do this, I personally would question keeping that caregiver in my employ, and find another.

(KLD)

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by vaibhavjain View Post
    ...regarding training my caregiver. i have a big mental block about this. i have had some bad experiences before and am not comfortable with my caregiver doing it.
    vaibhav
    What would it take to get past your mental block? Is it about the caregiver or you? I think you at least need to be able to instruct any qualified caregiver in the fine details of your needs. Even RNs need instruction, at least for me, because I am very particular about how things should be done. I think we get more particular the longer we've been doing this. But most of the details actually make a difference. It helps if we can stay relaxed and patient and clear while instructing, and notice how the caregiver is doing, and sometimes ask.

If it's really about the caregiver, then you need to find a new one, as difficult as that might be. There are a lot of good people out there, in my experience.

Okay so I found someone whos going to come and change it.
    regarding the mental block that is all me. initially when i was just injured, i had terrible experiences with caregivers back at home. forcing catheters down the urethras, urethral tears, and stuff like that really scared me. and not just that lot of other stuff as well.
    i did not have a properly trained caregiver, until i came to shepherd back in 09 when the staff here trained him(i was injured in 09, and my caregiver came with me from india).
    every subsequent caregiver i have had after that have been trained by that one caregiver and me combined. even my caregiver now has been trained by that initial caregiver. on top of that im super particular about how things are done. specially stuff to do with my bowel and bladder. btw i lterally scream when my catheter is changed, and my whole body sspasms like crazy. it sucks being hypersensitive
    i trust him with everything but this.
    and all these caregivers im talking about are RN's, they just have zzero training
    vaibhav