Thread: Power Plate

Power Plate

Just started using this at my gym.The P T said it was good for "reawakening" weak muscles,as well as other benefits as well.Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this piece of equipment?Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1712 View Post
    Just started using this at my gym.The P T said it was good for "reawakening" weak muscles,as well as other benefits as well.Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this piece of equipment?Thanks.
    We have several at our facilities. We have found it produces different results based on injury level and/or ASIA. Some clients find it helps reduce their tone/spasticity, while others find that it helps to increase muscle activity. We also have clients who are able to feel different parts of their body that they normally do not while on the PowerPlate.

Different settings also produce different results. My preferred setting (based on research on strength training in AB athletes) is 44Hz High amplitude.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    We have several at our facilities.
    This Power Plate, I assume this is the same as a vibration plate? Are any of the clients there using it to improve on their bone density? I need to improve the strength of my bones. My last bone density scan was 2 years ago in showed osteopenia in my left hip. I have been working out steadily on the FES bike since then. What I've read about vibration therapy sounds promising.

The vibration plate is the same as the Power Plate. We have a Power Plate in our facility as well and it does help with increasing bone density. Some other benefits of it are increased circulation, muscle recruitment, and some people have increased muscle strength and flexibility (decreased tone). You should try standing on it for several minutes and play with the settings to see what gives you optimal results. Also try doing dynamic exercises such as squats, squat holds, marching, step ups, and standing balance.

How do quads use a power/vibration plate?

I am a C5/6 quad. The rehabilitation gym I use, and this was two years ago, used a tilt table for quadriplegics and paraplegics doing vibration therapy. Does it really matter what position you are in? Anyone read any studies regarding vertical vs. horizontal?
    Last edited by Noel; 05-31-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-FIT View Post
    We have a Power Plate in our facility as well and it does help with increasing bone density.
    My rehab doctor has not cleared me for standing due to my osteopenia. As I mentioned earlier in the thread my last bone scan was two years ago, so I am hoping to get clearance soon. If

SCI-Fit unfortunately makes claim that can't as yet be established via the current published research, whole body vibration (PowerPlate and other manufacturers) has NOT been shown to make a significant difference in bone density in those with SCI.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24621040

Although it has shown effects in post-menopausal women:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24348029

Here is a study that looked at integrating WBV with a tilt table.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21528627

Also, there are many different manufacturers of vibration platforms and they have different vibration parameters (i.e. amplitude differences, side to side vibration, oscillating vibration, etc.) So research that may be true for one type of vibration plate may not be relevant to others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22084334

Searching www.pubmed.com can be a valuable resource for researching different therapies/technologies.
    Last edited by Snowman; 05-31-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc

Noel

I find it perplexing that your rehab doctor will not clear you for standing due to Osteopenia, most of the clients we see have Osteopenia of some level (as do the vast majority of those with SCI). All of our clients have been cleared by their doctors to be in our program, which includes a large amount of load bearing including standing.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc

Just wanted to clarify the study you posted is for only complete SCI 2 years post injury so those results will not be conclusive for the entire SCI population. There have been multiple studies that show for the able bodied population the benefits of vibration technology: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...romyalgia.aspx

If you are able to stand up on the Power Plate or perform any weight bearing exercises then you should see some benefits- any load bearing is going to be beneficial for SCI population.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-FIT View Post
    Just wanted to clarify the study you posted is for only complete SCI 2 years post injury so those results will not be conclusive for the entire SCI population. There have been multiple studies that show for the able bodied population the benefits of vibration technology: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...romyalgia.aspx

If you are able to stand up on the Power Plate or perform any weight bearing exercises then you should see some benefits- any load bearing is going to be beneficial for SCI population.

I agree that the study I cited was limited to complete injuries and it does not cover the SCI population as a whole, however it is currently the only peer reviewed study that has examined the effects of whole body vibration on bone density in SCI...

If you are going to say that a study focused on complete SCI injuries does not relate to other SCIs, then you absolutely cannot make the argument that studies in ABLE BODIED individuals somehow relate to SCI. The mechanisms of bone loss after SCI are not fully understood and do not directly relate to bone loss in the elderly population. The website that you cite (Mercola? Interesting choice as the proprietor appears to be under FDA sanction... http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html ) actually cites the exact same article I cited above referring to post menopausal women. The NASA study cited on that website is on a completely different type of vibration:

'The vibrations are very slight,' notes Stefan Judex, assistant professor of biomedical engineering at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, who worked on the research. The plate vibrates at 90 Hz (1 Hz = 1 cycle per second), with each brief oscillation imparting an acceleration equivalent to one-third of Earth's gravity. 'If you touch the plate with your finger, you can feel a very slight vibration,' he added. 'If you watch the plate, you cannot see any vibration at all.'

The PowerPlate vibrates between 25-55HZ (Pro5).

Just to be clear, I am NOT against using the PowerPlate by any means. I use it regularly with my clients here at Project Walk and see a lot of acute benefits. I just don't want to see unproven claims about it posted as being proven.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc