Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Hydrophilic catheter?

Used Mentor 450 14fr pvc catheter and surgilube for 22 yrs. Started having problems inserting cath and developed a stricture.
    Had to have surgery to remove stricture. Urologist recommended 16fr hydrophilic Speedicath and no problems since using them. Speedicaths are expensive and now Cure has a new hydrophilic catheter I might try.

Coloplast's Speedicath's have been the best hydrophilic catheters I have used in many, many years of cathing.

are the caths in a bag as far as the urine collects in bag all contained or do you cath into a bottle or jar
    ive been using bard touchless caths for a long time but there not to lubes up sometimes
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

wheelin,

If I understand your question correctly, the intermittent closed system catheters that I use (Hydrophilic SpeediCath Male Compact Set) include the bag. Unlike some other designs where the catheter sits in the bag either with lube or liquid, these have a softer half that folds into a plastic base. Inside the base is a reservoir of water, so the catheter is sitting in liquid before you use it. When you pull it out, the catheter extends ready to go. On the other end of the catheter, there is a bag, already attached and closed off, folded up and protected by a plastic cap. After you use the catheter, the bag fills and you can actually put the plastic base that houses the catheter back on to prevent the urine form leaking. (To dispose, you tear off a corner of the bag and can dump it into the toilet.)

Unlike previous closed systems I've used, this one doesn't have a 'guide' that you can hold while you insert the catheter. Instead, because half of the catheter is rigid and the other half is soft, it's pretty easy to line it up correctly with out it touching other things. I think this can be good or bad depending on your needs. For me, not having the catheter even touch an insertion guide means even less contact with the exposed world. On the other hand, I think if you can't guide it in effectively without support, you might want one that gives you a sheath that you can hold while inserting.

M

so the whole cath is not in the bag correct

ill look that name you use up
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Correct. The catheter attaches to the bag but doesn't recess/retract into it at all.

The Lo-Frics that I used to use would have a water satchel that you would break in the bag, but the shape of the plastic bag got narrow around the bottom so that the catheter could sit fully submerged in the water for a period of time before you used it. You would then tear off the bottom of the bag and the catheter could then slide forward out of the bag (but not all the way). You would tear out the catheter when you were finished and tie of the bag at the end.

M

coloplast offers samples of their products, you can request them online and if the specific product you want doesn't seem to be offered online just give them a call and they'll ship you out samples. They're really great about that, and give generous samples. I always seem to get like 6 of the item I want to try so I get to test it out repeatedly and see how I like it, not 1-2.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Coloplast sent me 3 while Cure sent me a bundle. For me, 3 is not enough to make a solid opinion.
    Anyone have any info re IQ catheters coming to America?

I'm surprised at that, I've gotten samples of multiple types of coloplast. The only time they only gave me 3 of something was 3 of the female closed system catheters, but they sent it at the same time as about 5 speedicath compact samples so I figured they gave me less because I was getting samples of more than one product. Which honestly was my own fault, I didn't need more speedicath compact samples, I already knew I loved the cath but was having trouble affording them so tried requesting more to help, if I had only asked to try the closed system I'd probably have been given more than 3. I'd try again, and maybe mention that you only got 3 samples and specifically ask if you could get say 6. You can also get samples through your provider, have them ask on your behalf. I've had to do that to get bard samples because their webform doesn't seem to work anylonger.

I no longer intermittent cath myself I have a suprapubic, but I've been requesting various leg and night bag samples from companies to see what I like best. I prefer hollister leg bags but actually hate their night bags, they don't drain right and the urine backs up in the tubing... Actually can happen with the leg bag, but I take an alcohol dipped qtip and stick it through the "duck bill" valve before the first use to help loosen it up, there's no way to access it on the night bags. So I use the bard ones, only I'm getting different ones now than what I started with from the hospital and these the reflux chamber is a joke, so much so I've soaked my pants and wheelchair cushion going to empty the bag in the morning because I disconnected and when I set it in my lap with the tubing wrapped up, the urine poured back out.

I went to suprapubic though partially because I had so much trouble intermittent cathing, which is why I've tried so many intermittent caths. I definitely prefer the hydrophillic ones and like I said speedicath compact worked best for me. But I'd tried cure hydrophillic (the ones that look like a mascara wand before open), lofric, etc.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

....... double posted