Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Hydrophilic catheter?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Is the price just for one catheter or a box of how many?
    box of 30. First couple I did buy to try and prove to my Dr we should try something else. Actually I guy from Cali was up visiting a friend of mine and gave/showed me the closed system version he used. Couldn't believe how they just fell in my bladder.

The closed system, yikes, all I could think of was all that plastic sitting in the landfill for eons. I always hated the amount of waste this life entails, especially in rehab. I'm not an environmentalist, just hate taking out the trash.

An older teammate told me about a Nam vet he knew once. He said the guy would keep a cath inside the brim of his ball-cap, no wrapper, and re-used the thing for years lubing it with spit. Never got an infection. "Once you become immune to a set batch of bacteria you're fine." It got me thinking....

I carry a little man-purse under my chair with cath in wrapper I re-use for months, tube of lube, and an empty water bottle. I never get infections anymore... chlorine from the swimming pool cleaning out my pee-hole almost daily could be a contributor but besides that I am a pig. When I read about people doing clean technique with brand new catheters and all this vetericyn talk I just shake my head at how lucky I am.

To me Speedicath (Coloplast) are the best (not the compact ones). They are already in their own "water", so no contamination when adding water either.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

I used to use the Lo-Fric Hydro kits, but switched to the SpeediCath Compact Male Closed System. The material of the catheter seemed gentler on the urethra and the ease of use was better. I felt like it was the first well thought out advance in catheter technology in a while. As somebody who gets a UTI when the wind blows the wrong way, these seemed like a step up. I also felt like these did a better job of protecting the catheter from unnecessary contamination.

I agree about plastic waste though... Since I use the closed system the waste does seem to pile up. I'm trying to come up with a good art project for the blue caps. (huge Lite-Brite project?)

M

I have used them all and the best I found is self cath plus by coloplast

The IQ-Cath, hands down. These aren't available in the US yet, but they are popular in Europe and they are available in Canada, where I live. They are made in Germany by a company that was started by a quad named Manfred Sauer. Great products..seriously. It was awful for me to discover that the stock caths you get in rehab are like sticking a wire in ..scar tissue, infections, false passages, etc. After years of that I eventually went to hydrophilics and this is the best of the bunch I've tried, although the others are good too. The key to the IQ-Cath is that they have a flexible tip with a rounded end so it gets past anything..I mean anything! This video blew my mind when I saw it..it's a bit long at 7 min, but worth the explanation and better than I could say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73ZO2KhjH4 K, thanks for starting this thread. Great to hear the info from my peeps. Cheers, Dig

Quote Originally Posted by dig View Post
    The IQ-Cath, hands down. These aren't available in the US yet, but they are popular in Europe and they are available in Canada, where I live. They are made in Germany by a company that was started by a quad named Manfred Sauer. Great products..seriously. It was awful for me to discover that the stock caths you get in rehab are like sticking a wire in ..scar tissue, infections, false passages, etc. After years of that I eventually went to hydrophilics and this is the best of the bunch I've tried, although the others are good too. The key to the IQ-Cath is that they have a flexible tip with a rounded end so it gets past anything..I mean anything! This video blew my mind when I saw it..it's a bit long at 7 min, but worth the explanation and better than I could say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73ZO2KhjH4 K, thanks for starting this thread. Great to hear the info from my peeps. Cheers, Dig
    Thanks dig, I hope those arrive here in the States asap! Video does a great job of showing exactly why I need this catheter. I have all the urethra issues shown in the video.
    Does anyone have the low down on when these might become available in the U.S. ???

Been using the old Rusch pvc caths with surgilube packets for years and reading this makes me want to try something else.

With the Hydrophilic catheters, do you have to carry around water or lube packets to use with them?

I understand the Speedicaths come in their own water; are they messy when taking out of the water soaked package? I'm not up on how the new catheters work; with lube or without lube?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Have you tried speedicath? I'm female but the female speedicath compact are my fav catheters of all time. I tried a lot in my short period of intermittent cathing before going to a suprapubic because I had a lot of difficulty and pain.
    I tried a sample of these and I don't know how you can keep it from slipping out of your hand?

My Dad likes

Rochester Medical Magic3 (with the sleeve)

We just went online and searched several companies with hydrophilics and requested samples and he tried them all. He liked this one the best. There are options of an "insertion sleeve" (to keep your fingers off the wet catheter) and they have some coated with antibiotics (??). He likes that you can stick the package containing the catheter against the wall (sticky on the package) to free up a hand during cathing. Each catheter packaging contains a small packet containing the fluid that you "pop", and then you swish the fluid around, then you open up the packaging.

My Dad could not manage a hydrophilic catheter without the insertion sleeve because of the slipperiness. Now he really likes them. If you request a sample, make sure you request the type with the sleeve.

+1 on speedicath, i've been using them for 5+ years and get mine from 180 Medical.