Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Hydrophilic catheter?

I was sent samples of the Flocath Quick and Speedicaths. I tried one of the FLocaths and was completely unimpresssed. I think I may have used it wrong. For starters, the silver packet with the water could not be ripped open, I had to use scissors to open it. Then tried to spread the water solution onto the cath which dripped all over. Tried to insert and no way, was very sluggish. I tried lube on it and was even worse so threw it away and went back to my Rusche pvc's. There's a blue sleeve on the catheter itself, was I supposed to drip the water onto it.

What's the trick using the Speedicaths. I haven't tried one of the samples and am reluctant if I'm doing it wrong. The packaging seems bulky and I wonder if it would be okay to fold them up to put in my bag under the seat.

So far of the samples mailed I like Apogee IC the best. With a bit of lube they slipped in much more easily than the Rusche I'm using now.

Hey roller! ... no word on when it's coming to the US. I heard that there was a bit of a turf war between a few of the big players and Manfred Sauer has been kept out of the US so far. Do you have coverage for your supplies?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I was sent samples of the Flocath Quick and Speedicaths. I tried one of the FLocaths and was completely unimpresssed. I think I may have used it wrong. For starters, the silver packet with the water could not be ripped open, I had to use scissors to open it. Then tried to spread the water solution onto the cath which dripped all over. Tried to insert and no way, was very sluggish. I tried lube on it and was even worse so threw it away and went back to my Rusche pvc's. There's a blue sleeve on the catheter itself, was I supposed to drip the water onto it.

What's the trick using the Speedicaths. I haven't tried one of the samples and am reluctant if I'm doing it wrong. The packaging seems bulky and I wonder if it would be okay to fold them up to put in my bag under the seat.

So far of the samples mailed I like Apogee IC the best. With a bit of lube they slipped in much more easily than the Rusche I'm using now.
    Sorry Pat, missed this when I was out of town.

..not sure which FloCath you got, sounds like the closed system version if it's got the water included. And yes, you really screwed the pooch on that. lol. The way I was taught by the guy who gave me a few was to set it on the counter (while still enclosed sealed in the closed system) and smash the water pouch with your fist. It will explode and wet the cath. Even on the stand-alone that you add tap water to they say to let the cath soak a minute before using. They should be slicker than snot.

The SpeediCaths are fine to fold, just don't crimp. A ton of quads use them up here, no fuss with lube.

Unless you are having problems with regular straight caths I don't see any advantage to hydrophilic. I started using them when I was healing a false passage and fighting a tricky sphincter.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    The way I was taught by the guy who gave me a few was to set it on the counter (while still enclosed sealed in the closed system) and smash the water pouch with your fist. It will explode and wet the cath.
    I'm not directly familiar with FloCaths, but in similar closed systems catheters with a foil water "sachet" contained within the collection bag, the best way to open it, hand dexterity allowing, is to fold the sachet in half and squeeze to rupture.

Thanks guys, I'm sticking with a straight catheter. I found the Apogee 1C Cure cath was pretty good. I ordered 120 to try them out. I still have a few boxes of the Rusche PVC's and they work okay; just wnted to try something different.

I've always used the speedycaths and don't have any issues. They are sharp edged on the packaging and are awkward to fold but there are no issues folding them in my bag.

i open the top where the tab is approx 1cm and tip out all of the excess fluid into the toilet. Whilst upside down I open the "bottom" a cm or 2 and expose the tip end which I then extract with my teeth? I fully insert it and use the packaging as an erm extension pole lol and go straight into the loo? When finished I feed it back into the packaging whilst emptying into the loo using a wipe, then fold it and bin it - works well for me anyway.

Not sure if that's the correct way but I've had no issues so hope it helps. J.

Has anyone tried PECO hydrophylic? I contacted them twice and actually talked to humans but never heard back or received any samples. I guess they're doing very well and don't need more customers!
    I think best catheter I've tried that works for me is from CURE. Love to try others but no plans on being made to feel like a beggar!

Quote Originally Posted by dig View Post
    Hey roller! ... no word on when it's coming to the US. I heard that there was a bit of a turf war between a few of the big players and Manfred Sauer has been kept out of the US so far. Do you have coverage for your supplies?
    So typical, "greed before NEED"! I hope Manfred conquers the U.S. To be honest, I don't care where catheters come from so long as it hurts less due to better design!

I noticed this a lot with the LoFric catheters when they became a different company (Wellspect healthcare). It has hurt like hell to cath through my mitrofanoff for the past 2 months because the coating doesn't seem to want to stay hydrated. I am looking into other catheters, like the Spedicath or Hollister ones.